The Student Room Group

How do I study for maths

The 9-1 Edexcel gcse maths. I’m using maths genie to teach me as I have no tutor to teach me so it’s all self study. Do I do grade 1 topics then grade 2 then grade 3 topics etc or do I learn number topic then algebra then geometry etc. so grades or topic? Which do you think is better for me ? For someone who struggles with maths a lot?
Reply 1
Bump
I'd work by way up if you really have no clue, but if you're above a grade 4 there's no real need to sit there and do grade 1 questions, so work through them by topic
Reply 3
Original post by troubletracking
I'd work by way up if you really have no clue, but if you're above a grade 4 there's no real need to sit there and do grade 1 questions, so work through them by topic

I’m a 3 right now. So I guess I’ll work my way up
Original post by GotASecret
I’m a 3 right now. So I guess I’ll work my way up

Yeah, if you work your way up from grade 3 you should be fine:smile: Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by troubletracking
Yeah, if you work your way up from grade 3 you should be fine:smile: Good luck!

Thanks!
Keep practicing on a variety of questions. Go over both higher and Foundation papers. Practice. See where you're going wrong. Improve. Practice. Believe in yourself. Practice.

Oh, and I would recommend practicing a variety of questions at a variety of grades. From 1-9 just to consolidate your learning.

And finally...

PRACTICE!
Reply 7
Original post by criggles
Keep practicing on a variety of questions. Go over both higher and Foundation papers. Practice. See where you're going wrong. Improve. Practice. Believe in yourself. Practice.

Oh, and I would recommend practicing a variety of questions at a variety of grades. From 1-9 just to consolidate your learning.

And finally...

PRACTICE!

I have until 2nd november. Do you really think I can learn, memorize and practice in that time? Shall I just do papers? Even the old spec ones?
(edited 5 years ago)
I have until 2nd november. Do you really think I can learn, memorize and practice in that time? Shall I just do papers? Even the old spec ones?

What grade are you aiming for?

And yes, if you focus, you can achieve anything. it's still a couple of months away! You'll be fine.
Reply 9
Original post by criggles
What grade are you aiming for?

And yes, if you focus, you can achieve anything. it's still a couple of months away! You'll be fine.

Less than 2 months! All I need is a 4 really. But I’d like a 6.

Anything is possible if you work hard and do lots of practice :smile:
Original post by Guarddyyy
Anything is possible if you work hard and do lots of practice :smile:

I find geometry and algebra quite difficult
Pm me! I’m happy to help if you want! :smile:
I find geometry and algebra quite difficult

Then just keep revisiting sections in-between revisions for other topics. You might find youtubing difficult topics will be a lot easier, as someone walks you through them instead of you trying to spot what's going on in example questions. Youtube is definitely helping me through A-levels :smile:
Then just keep revisiting sections in-between revisions for other topics. You might find youtubing difficult topics will be a lot easier, as someone walks you through them instead of you trying to spot what's going on in example questions. Youtube is definitely helping me through A-levels :smile:

Thing is, The questions on the paper are way more complicated than the examples YouTube give. Or even maths genie. I don’t want to be shocked when I see the paper.
Original post by ItsTomii
Pm me! I’m happy to help if you want! :smile:

Really? Thank you!
Thing is, The questions on the paper are way more complicated than the examples YouTube give. Or even maths genie. I don’t want to be shocked when I see the paper.

Just build it up slowly. You don't want to go to a swimming pool without knowing how to swim and jump into the deep end, would you? :wink: Unless... you're a daredevil
Reply 17
pm me too if you need it! I did my maths a level last year and I'm happy to help :smile:
Just build it up slowly. You don't want to go to a swimming pool without knowing how to swim and jump into the deep end, would you? :wink: Unless... you're a daredevil

Haha ok thank you!
Original post by lu_han
pm me too if you need it! I did my maths a level last year and I'm happy to help :smile:

Is it? Thanks! Ill pm you too

Quick Reply

Latest