The Student Room Group

Why do I feel like I can't breathe:(

Hi,

I had a chest X-ray recently and results have come all clean. Yet at times (5/6 times a day) I feel like I can't breathe and have to take very deep breathes and literally gasp.
I think I have anxiety. (Been referred to a mental health service by my GP but I haven't contacted them).
And I'm sure it must be anxiety, if the GP had advised me to go there?
I worry about everything and about everyone.
And I'm sure it's all in my head that I just "feel" like I can't breathe but I obviously can otherwise I'd be dead!

Please help/advise me on what to do.
Thanks.
Reply 1
Just seek help and go along with it, sounds like it's the best thing for you at the moment. If the GP doesn't help then you can self-refer.
Is it just you can’t breathe or other stuff
You may be having a panic attack
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I had a chest X-ray recently and results have come all clean. Yet at times (5/6 times a day) I feel like I can't breathe and have to take very deep breathes and literally gasp.
I think I have anxiety. (Been referred to a mental health service by my GP but I haven't contacted them).
And I'm sure it must be anxiety, if the GP had advised me to go there?
I worry about everything and about everyone.
And I'm sure it's all in my head that I just "feel" like I can't breathe but I obviously can otherwise I'd be dead!

Please help/advise me on what to do.
Thanks.

I think I have the same thing, does it feel like you're trying to breathe in but no oxygen is going in your lungs?
Reply 4
I don't know if it's a panic attack-because tbh my breathing problems happen at random;not necessarily at a time where there's a reason for me to panic.

I searched online that I may have GAD, I do worry a lot but that's just me.

Sometimes my head begins to hurt from my temples and I feel shaky and just want to cry.
Because I know I CAN breathe but sometimes I just feel like I can't. And when I tell my family they think it's nothing and that I'm just thinking too much as I'm known to be a "worrier!"
Sometimes when I'm lying down I may feel like I can't breathe so just have to sit up and take a few deep breathes.
Reply 5
Original post by daisy02
i think i have the same thing, does it feel like you're trying to breathe in but no oxygen is going in your lungs?

yep!!!!
Exactly that!!!!:frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know if it's a panic attack-because tbh my breathing problems happen at random;not necessarily at a time where there's a reason for me to panic.

I searched online that I may have GAD, I do worry a lot but that's just me.

Sometimes my head begins to hurt from my temples and I feel shaky and just want to cry.
Because I know I CAN breathe but sometimes I just feel like I can't. And when I tell my family they think it's nothing and that I'm just thinking too much as I'm known to be a "worrier!"
Sometimes when I'm lying down I may feel like I can't breathe so just have to sit up and take a few deep breathes.

I think you should go to the doctor again if you suspect there's a different cause such as GAD. In the meantime, if you feel like you can't breathe, what I do is spend a lot of time in the garden or just anywhere in the open and the fresh air helps me feel like i'm getting oxygen back in my lungs.
Reply 7
I would advise you see a mental health professional. However in my experience and from what I have heard from others GP recommended mental health professionals are not always the people we need. Seek a psychiatrist, mental health service, etc who can cater to your needs, is an expert in whatever specific issues you may have. And also make sure they can understand you as a person. From what you have written it does seem a mental health issue (I have experienced similar conditions with my anxiety and panic attacks) and seemingly you have no physical ailments. Please do remember not to rush into things because you may feel pressured to do so, but instead take time to consider your options as taking care of your own mental health is self care. If you have any further questions I'd be happy to reply.

Quick Reply

Latest