Adam14701470
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'd just like to ask about AQA GCSE Sciences, because there just seem to be so many terms and words and want to see if anyone can explain them to me. What I don't understand is whether there are tiers or not (Foundation and Higher), and what the different pathsways are (Combined and Single Science), and why some topics in my textbook are labelled 'Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics Only' I'm just really confused.

Thank You.
username3089818
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Adam14701470)
Hi everyone,

I'd just like to ask about AQA GCSE Sciences, because there just seem to be so many terms and words and want to see if anyone can explain them to me. What I don't understand is whether there are tiers or not (Foundation and Higher), and what the different pathsways are (Combined and Single Science), and why some topics in my textbook are labelled 'Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics Only' I'm just really confused.

Thank You.
There are tiers and if u r doing the combined science u r not able to sit a higher paper for one and foundation for other.combined science is u doing the physics,chemistry and biology exams and getting a grade for all of them combined whereas single sciences is u doing the sciences in separate tiers if you wish,for single sciences u will only get 1 grade whereas fir combined its 9-9 9-8 etc.the topics marked in your textbook that r only means its not required if u r taking the combined science gcse.

Personally taking the combined science is easier as there is less content to learn and apply.
themagicturtle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So as for your first question, yes there are tiers. You'll do either foundation or higher papers, depending on what you're taught. It works the same way like in maths, where in higher you study an extension of what you do at foundation.

As for your second question:
So the single science applies for each science - so that you do individual GCSEs for biology, chemistry and physics. You can be entered for higher or foundation for any of the sciences (eg I could do higher chemistry and physics but foundation biology).

In double science, you study roughly 2 thirds of each science and sit shorter exams. The drawback with combined science is that it is only equivalent to 2 GCSEs (as oppose to studying the three single sciences, which give 3), and you can only sit on one tier for the entire set of exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (72)
22.78%
Excited but a bit nervous (142)
44.94%
Not bothered either way (38)
12.03%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.25%

Watched Threads