The Student Room Group

Alevels and Uni help

Long story short. I started my alevels in 2016 september. When I went to sixth form it was bad.I was made fun of and it was really far. 3 months afte. I had to back travelled to holland my hometwon. After a few weeks o came back. I decided to enrol to another school they saod it was to late. There was a specfic date for me to swap school and missed it by a few days. I chose appeal but it was to late. So i became depressed and my life fell apart. I spoke to an advisor and she said i should apply for college to enrol the next year. I did but my local colleges didnt have the course i wanted. So I chose to do distance learning. This is amy second year. My mom lost her job. Even though i am ready to do the exams. We are now in debt and now i cant pay for the exams for 2019.My had to use the saving to payfor the exam fees I have the option to take my exams in 2020. I am deteremind to get part time job now and do work experience and volunteeering. But I am scared unis wont except me if apply in for a place in 2020.
Original post by Lily June 18
Long story short. I started my alevels in 2016 september. When I went to sixth form it was bad.I was made fun of and it was really far. 3 months afte. I had to back travelled to holland my hometwon. After a few weeks o came back. I decided to enrol to another school they saod it was to late. There was a specfic date for me to swap school and missed it by a few days. I chose appeal but it was to late. So i became depressed and my life fell apart. I spoke to an advisor and she said i should apply for college to enrol the next year. I did but my local colleges didnt have the course i wanted. So I chose to do distance learning. This is amy second year. My mom lost her job. Even though i am ready to do the exams. We are now in debt and now i cant pay for the exams for 2019.My had to use the saving to payfor the exam fees I have the option to take my exams in 2020. I am deteremind to get part time job now and do work experience and volunteeering. But I am scared unis wont except me if apply in for a place in 2020.

Hey that sounds terrible.

What subjects are you doing?

How old are you now?

Do you have GCSE Maths and English?

How long have you lived in the UK?

Unis will be fine if your grades are good enough. What you need to be is well prepared so you pass well first time instead of being depressed. This means you need to be able to look after yourself.

Have your parents check they are getting enough benefits?

Contact CAB and ask for a benefits check.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/
Well i just turned 18 around a month ago. I did my gcses in 2016 and got 10 A* to C. I have lived in the Uk for about 10 years. My mother is a single parent. Everything was was going fine until i started that sixthform and the goverment cut my mothers JSA allowance without a good reason. We were living a 50 pounds a week this includes paying for transpart, gas, electric , internet , school , water and food.. As you could see i couldnt even pay for books that i needed for school or buy a calculator. I normally use bus but there was construction which delayed my arrival and had to use tge train for transport I couldnt pay for the transport and came to school late all the time. I am taking Maths Biology and Psychology.. Yes we check and did the entilment test many times but it always said that we arent entitled to it.. We went to place called olive morris how like 20 times. It got so bad that the manager was worrid about us and she wrote a personal letter to JSA. But they never replied.. It felt very discrminative. How could they just stop her allowance without reason? It sucked so bad and to add to that the bullying got to me. I spent break and lunch in the toliets and couldn't go to lessons as i couldn't even learn without getting teased.or feeling like an outsider.. The teachers were horrible. They told us werent "smart and shouldnt expect top grades" a student complained about the specfic teacher. But nothing happend. ..
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest