The Student Room Group

Psychology or International Relations/Politics degree? are they useless??

I've always been stuck between both and now that the time has come to choose what to study at uni im a bit lost. I 100% know neither will guarantee jobs and money, and i'm not too worried about the money aspect , but rather employability? A lot of people have told me that a degree in psychology is useless, but I know for sure i'll enjoy studying psychology. IR/ Poli would be a bit riskier as im afraid ill get bored of it, but people have left me under the impression that i'll be more employable? Also, if this is at all useful, im hoping to apply to quite good unis. Does it matter terribly what uni your degree is from? im just really lost atm and would appreciate advice!!
Original post by didimaj234
I've always been stuck between both and now that the time has come to choose what to study at uni im a bit lost. I 100% know neither will guarantee jobs and money, and i'm not too worried about the money aspect , but rather employability? A lot of people have told me that a degree in psychology is useless, but I know for sure i'll enjoy studying psychology. IR/ Poli would be a bit riskier as im afraid ill get bored of it, but people have left me under the impression that i'll be more employable? Also, if this is at all useful, im hoping to apply to quite good unis. Does it matter terribly what uni your degree is from? im just really lost atm and would appreciate advice!!

:bawling:Psychology isn't totally useless.. I mean I know a lot of people take it but it contains statistics and writing, I can see it being applicable to lots of different areas.. depends where you're interests lie (even better that you enjoy it).
I mean I am personally heading towards becoming a psychologist but you could use the degree within a business where you'll need to be aware of people's needs and team work... or work with children...

You have any goals..? Do you want to help people etc?
A Psychology degree is only as useless or useful as any other degree if you do not have a plan laid out for its application. I am studying Psychology and have a set business plan for when I leave university. If the business plan works, great. If it doesn’t work I will go to my back up plan.

I think the most important aspect of the question you are asking needs to answered by yourself. What is it that you want to achieve in life and by what means?
(edited 5 years ago)
They aren't useless.

The problem is there are far too many students in these subjects chasing a limited number of related jobs. Take psychology, so many psych students want to be clinical psychologists yet the limited places available make the clinical psych doctorate one of the most competitive courses in the country.

Other than that, they are no less or no more valuable than any other generic degree.
Original post by didimaj234

Its not the degree subject that makes you employable, its you- by getting work experience, putting together a good application, passing relevant tests. What I have heard with psychology is that if you want to be a clinical psychologist then you do need further qualifications as well. If you want to step away after a BA/BSc you can apply for exactly the same jobs as an IR student/grad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending