Not allowed to stay in University Watch

Sally1912
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi everyone!

So im a muslim girl (bengali) and im going to university in Sep 2019. I've always thought about living there since i want to go out of town and it'll be hard to commute all the time. But even without asking my parents I cab tell they wouldn't be fond of the idea unless someone we know or related to us is present there or lives in the same area.

This is just so frustrating since I've NEVER acted out of order (stay out late, parties, drinking, boys etc.) Like im always in college and i work hard and I always dress modestly too. I dont understand why can't stupid asian parents just LET THE HELL GO??

Anyways... i feel I'll just have to commute. I know I'll get those 'oh your an adult rebel, do what you want' responses so please refrain. Unless your asian you wouldn't understand how to go against your parents choice despite being an adult. Since you can't move out till marriage and stuff.

Argh just so sick of these asian rules and crap. Why cant they let us be independent like modern parents or white people. Its always hug them tight till your all they can depend on till death. LEAVE YOUR CHILDREN ALONE FOR ONCE. Sorry im ranting, I've just had enough. Im trying to make my life easier and they're (my parents) just making it harder.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Have you sat down to talk to your parents about your education and career plans? It might be that the course you want to do is better at a university which is further away from where you live and can open up more options to you.

Have you researched which universities appeal to you and what course you want to do?
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Sally1912)
Hi everyone!

So im a muslim girl (bengali) and im going to university in Sep 2019. I've always thought about living there since i want to go out of town and it'll be hard to commute all the time. But even without asking my parents I cab tell they wouldn't be fond of the idea unless someone we know or related to us is present there or lives in the same area.

This is just so frustrating since I've NEVER acted out of order (stay out late, parties, drinking, boys etc.) Like im always in college and i work hard and I always dress modestly too. I dont understand why can't stupid asian parents just LET THE HELL GO??

Anyways... i feel I'll just have to commute. I know I'll get those 'oh your an adult rebel, do what you want' responses so please refrain. Unless your asian you wouldn't understand how to go against your parents choice despite being an adult. Since you can't move out till marriage and stuff.

Argh just so sick of these asian rules and crap. Why cant they let us be independent like modern parents or white people. Its always hug them tight till your all they can depend on till death. LEAVE YOUR CHILDREN ALONE FOR ONCE. Sorry im ranting, I've just had enough. Im trying to make my life easier and they're (my parents) just making it harder.
I'm not Muslim so I really don't know I reckon though if you explain how going to (insert far away uni name here) will open more doors (maybe enhance this point) enable you to get a better job earn more money and therefore be able to look after them better in to old age.

If the worry about you going off the rails some places will have some floors where it's all girls hell in Portsmouth when I was there there was even a floor of exclusively Muslim girls. Research mosques in the area to set your parents mind at rest and also point out the ISOC page on the SU page and promise to join (you can always change your mind once your there)

Spoiler:
Show

There is also the nuclear option if that doesn't work I haven't detailed it here because you said you didn't want the rebellious things but if you want it just ask and I'll post it.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (114)
17.48%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.58%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (113)
17.33%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (97)
14.88%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (196)
30.06%

Watched Threads