People that argue that humans lives are worth more than animals because humans are Watch

Thefreak99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
More intelligent.

Then surely going by that logic the average persons live is worth more than mentally disabled people? Bill gates live is worth more than all of us?
dsmith23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Where do you draw the line at where you stop caring and advocating for their well-being? Single cell organisms? Or do you draw the line at Ants, maybe? Why?

Where you draw the line is always arbitrary.
Thefreak99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shadow_Messiah19)
A human life is more worth than an animals life is because the goal of a human is to carry on, diversify the gene pool and reproduce, as is the same with all organisms.

As we are all part of the human race, we should all strive to reach this goal, thus making a human life invaluable when compared to other organisms. Species mentality is the mentality we should all have.
Why?
Thefreak99
Rep:
?
(Original post by dsmith23)
Where do you draw the line at where you stop caring and advocating for their well-being? Single cell organisms? Or do you draw the line at Ants, maybe? Why?

Where you draw the line is always arbitrary.
Where one has a brain for a start.
Thefreak99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shadow_Messiah19)
Caring about animals is not necessarily what I dont understand, people gotta do what they gotta do to make themselves feel good and fulfil their need for self justice. But when you begin valuing another species over your own is when I think the person is deranged in some way
Who was talking about valuing another species over our own?
dsmith23
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Thefreak99)
Where one has a brain for a start.
So would you give equal importance to a fruit fly as you would a human? Because if you do, would you consider yourself a bad person for accidentally sitting on one and squashing it?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
So would you give equal importance to a fruit fly as you would a human? Because if you do, would you consider yourself a bad person for accidentally sitting on one and squashing it?
He would if he was a Jaina.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Personally I try not to cause pain to creatures that have a complex central nervous system - so basically things with a spinal chord (or otherwise, enough neurons and intelligence to be convincing; looking at you, octopi). I probably wouldn't eat insects in any case, but my aversion to the idea is not due to regard for their lives or quality of life.

I don't consider this distinction to be particularly arbitrary. The difference between a human intelligence and that of a pig is basically one of degree, not of kind, and in ability to suffer, they are certainly our equals. I suspect that the difference between a human consciousness and that of a fly truly is one of kind.

Now you know the rhyme and reason of what I care about. You may not agree with my logic, but by the definition of ''arbitrary'', you must agree that my choices are not arbitrary. And in general, we can collect data about other creatures' ability to cogitate and suffer, and use those data to construct ideas about the value of their lives, and base our decisions on those ideas. I reject the assertion that this sort of decision is ''always arbitrary''.

Finally, although we can never prove that other animals are as conscious as we are, neither can we prove definitively that any human is conscious other than ourselves. Each of us cannot know that we are not the only real soul in a world full of soulless meat robots. If we are willing to extend the benefit of the doubt to our fellow humans, it seems arbitrary not to extend the benefit of the doubt further.
H20 III
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
i argue humans are worth more than animals because God said so.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.64%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.21%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (94)
14.71%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise