The Student Room Group

sfe / student finance appeal - step parents income

I am currently receiving the lowest possible maintenance loan based on the assumption that my household income places me in the highest bracket.

My family living situation is this:
I do not live with my father and his financially well-off family, and have very minimal contact. He gives no money towards my life even though I have reached out multiple times for help.
I live with my mother and step-father. My mother is a self-employed yoga teacher, earning around £13-14,000 per year. My step-father has been unemployed for the last 11 months, (he gets the odd consultancy job though...) and has 2 kids of his own who are financially dependant on him.
So, although I am living under the same roof as both my mother and step-father, I am only able to live off my mother’s income, and only ever have, which is proving very difficult at university.

when i first applied for SF, (im going into second yr) my step-dad had a job, and so I am currently on the lowest maintenance loan. but even when he had a job, i didnt live off him- our family just doesnt work like that, hes not my dad, i wouldnt ask him for money, even tho he's married to mum. he's got his own kids to look after.

I have tried so hard to hold down a part time job to give myself extra income, however I have severe mental health issues which have meant I cannot hold one down. I already re-took first year of uni coz my mental health was shambles. I am eligible for the DSA Allowance, however this only helps specifically with equipment and gives me no general allowance.

In my first year of uni I struggled so much with just my mothers income (maintenance loan didnt even cover half my accommodation) that I had to go to the Student’s Union and ask for money help, and they gave me some money help and a voucher for the local food bank. it was **** times

anyway my Q is ..... ive just put this in writing and im gunna send it off as an appeal tomorrow. is it just a complete waste of time?? anyone had any experience with appeals before????

thnx in advance
Hi

If your mum is married or living with her partner, his financial information will be required to assess your student finance application. Although you may not be dependent on your step father, his income contributes to the overall household income which is what we assess. If you wish your application to be income assessed, he will be required to provide his financial details.

Thanks
Gerard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending