cassywalker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What are the best ways to revise for A-Level Biology?
Any recommended resources?
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cassywalker)
Make detailed notes from the textbook and then do as many past paper questions as you can. The mark scheme is stupidly specific for A-Level Biology and so you must learn the key mark scheme words that get you the marks in each topic.
1234mt
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For AQA, I made PowerPoints in great detail of every single topic and some off spec knowledge (for the synoptic essay). Once I knew everything by heart on the topic, I’d do as many past paper questions as possible. The trick to biology is knowing how to answer questions so once you know everything you really need to do past paper after past paper.
cassywalker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Grade A)
Make detailed notes from the textbook and then do as many past paper questions as you can. The mark scheme is stupidly specific for A-Level Biology and so you must learn the key mark scheme words that get you the marks in each topic.
Yeah the mark scheme is a pain. Thank you!
cassywalker
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1234mt)
For AQA, I made PowerPoints in great detail of every single topic and some off spec knowledge (for the synoptic essay). Once I knew everything by heart on the topic, I’d do as many past paper questions as possible. The trick to biology is knowing how to answer questions so once you know everything you really need to do past paper after past paper.
Thank you!! Do you recommend any books/websites that have helped with your revision?
1234mt
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you!! Do you recommend any books/websites that have helped with your revision?
These are the only revision guides I used:

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...qa.book_BATB52

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...qa.book_BATB62

Good luck!
aboopa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I found making posters to summarize systems such as respiration in a flow chart or draw the body and the organs involved in digestion and saying what the part is, when enzymes are produces and how they work really help me. Also my textbook we're amazing but it depends on your exam board xl
cassywalker
Rep:
?
Thank you!!
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Grade A)
bad advice, sorry.

Speaking as someone who got 96% UMS in my Biology A level if i had done this i would have got maybe 80% tops.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
cgp books are the devil. avoid like the plague. source: top biology student, now graduate.
Fakbarpoor
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello,
I would recommend buying both the textbook and the revision guide. Sometimes both explain a topic well and sometimes one of them explains it better. Make your notes actively (don't copy stuff) and make note of the answers that come up frequently in mark schemes. If you can afford it, buy the tailored tutors course (they are a reason why i got an A*!!!)
Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.95%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.73%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (18)
5.88%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.46%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.09%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (35)
11.44%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise