Does biomedical science degree have enough chemistry? Watch

DatBoiOhHek
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi,

I’m thinking of studying biomedical science with the goal of a PhD for a career in research.

My main concern is that biomed degrees only have first year chemistry courses, and that’s it. Is this sufficient chemistry knowledge to contribute meaningfully in a field such as cancer research or immunology?

It’s between a bachelor of science majoring in chemistry, or biomedical science. The goal for either is, broadly, human biology research. What’s the best path?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by DatBoiOhHek)
Hi,

I’m thinking of studying biomedical science with the goal of a PhD for a career in research.

My main concern is that biomed degrees only have first year chemistry courses, and that’s it. Is this sufficient chemistry knowledge to contribute meaningfully in a field such as cancer research or immunology?

It’s between a bachelor of science majoring in chemistry, or biomedical science. The goal for either is, broadly, human biology research. What’s the best path?
You don't necessarily need any chemistry for a career in research. Different courses will have different make ups so make sure you check the content thoroughly, Go with what you enjoy at this stage and worry about the PhD later. Otherwise why not do biochem which will have more chem.
DatBoiOhHek
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
You don't necessarily need any chemistry for a career in research. Different courses will have different make ups so make sure you check the content thoroughly, Go with what you enjoy at this stage and worry about the PhD later. Otherwise why not do biochem which will have more chem.
Biochem isn’t an option. I would enjoy biomed more than a chemistry or a biology major because of the interesting courses/topics covered.

Is it possible to learn more chemistry (if necessary) during a PhD in biomed?
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Biochem isn’t an option. I would enjoy biomed more than a chemistry or a biology major because of the interesting courses/topics covered.

Is it possible to learn more chemistry (if necessary) during a PhD in biomed?
Sorry why isn't biochem an option? Have you looked at course content? I think you are getting very hung up on names of things and not really considering what you will be taught. You're wanting to do a biochem degree but have it called biomed. A PhD in biomed doesn't exist. When you do a PhD it is in a very specific topic and will learn techniques and knowledge relevant to it. If you want to study chem then why not do it as a degree?
DatBoiOhHek
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Sorry why isn't biochem an option? Have you looked at course content? I think you are getting very hung up on names of things and not really considering what you will be taught. A PhD in biomed doesn't exist. When you do a PhD it is in a very specific topic and will learn techniques and knowledge relevant to it. If you want to study chem then why not do it as a degree?
There’s no major in biochem at the only uni I can attend. I thought about a double major in biology and chemistry, but the content in the biology major is much broader than simply human biology, which is taught in biomedical science. But I prefer human biology, so I’d rather biomed over a biology and chemistry double.

I meant a PhD within the field of biomedical science. I know each PhD is completely different.
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
There’s no major in biochem at the only uni I can attend. I thought about a double major in biology and chemistry, but the content in the biology major is much broader than simply human biology, which is taught in biomedical science. But I prefer human biology, so I’d rather biomed over a biology and chemistry double.

I meant a PhD within the field of biomedical science. I know each PhD is completely different.
If you're talking in terms of majors the first thing to establish is whether you are in the US or UK. If you are in the US the system is completely different and this is a UK site.

If you are in the UK the course content for each uni is on their webpages. Pick a course that interests you. It doesn't matter if it's called bio/biomed/human bio/biochem/mol bio/neuro you can do a PhD that is relevant to biomed/bio/neuro.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (135)
18.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (76)
10.2%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (128)
17.18%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (106)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (74)
9.93%
How can I be the best version of myself? (226)
30.34%

Watched Threads