DD has a strong allergy to White Spirit.

Watch
smee3
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
DD suffers with allergies that impact her skin and in more severe cases can start to give her breathing problems.
DD managed GCSE Chemistry OK and got a 7. Although she did not enjoy GCSE Chemistry and originally wasn't going to take it to A level she is contemplating it now due to not wanting to rule out medicine. I am concerned whether she will come across other chemicals she may have reactions to. It has been several years since she last had a reaction to White Spirits. She did not use it herself but was just in the same room as we were when we used it briefly. An antihistamine alleviated her breathing problems but the hives/rash on her exposed skin did not calm down for a few days. Would she be mad to take it A Level.
she is currently planning on taking
Biology - Because she enjoys it
Maths - Because she enjoys it
Chemistry or Psychology
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
DD, eh. I think that's from another forum...

If she's thinking of doing Chemistry, then she's going to be exposed to chemicals. I don't remember using white spirit in Chemistry (more of a decorating thing than a scientific A Level thing) but there's no guarantee that there aren't further chemicals to which she will have a reaction.

Chemistry A Level is a pre-requisite for many medical degrees and by not taking it, she'll be limiting her options in this regard. It would be a shame for her to limit her options for her future career just in case she might come across something which might give a bit of a rash for a day or so...
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
it would be sensible if "DD" avoids exposure to chemicals. it may be necessary to look elsewhere than medicine for a career
smee3
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Maybe she should do an EPQ on Multiple Chemical Sensitivity rather than take A level chemistry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (7)
11.86%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.69%
Finding the time to revise (6)
10.17%
Finding the motivation (12)
20.34%
Getting distracted (10)
16.95%
Procrastination (23)
38.98%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads