The Student Room Group

Driving Test With Own Car

Hey, I've got my own car and have a driving test coming up. I've been driving with my dad in my own car for a while now and much prefer driving my own car versus my driving instructors car.

Though I'm unsure if I'll be able to use my own car as the speedometer cannot be seen from the passenger seat even when leaning over. Meaning that the driving test examiner won't be able to see the speed of my speedometer.

You'd think that an examiner would be able to tell roughly what speed you're going however there would be no way to confirm my speed if they had to check.

Would this matter? Would I be able to use my car? (Besides this, it meets all the requirements).
The best thing to do is contact the test centre and ask asap, then you which car you need to do your last bit of practice in.
Reply 2
Original post by BobbyMalloy
Though I'm unsure if I'll be able to use my own car as the speedometer cannot be seen from the passenger seat even when leaning over. Meaning that the driving test examiner won't be able to see the speed of my speedometer.

That shouldn't be a problem. Examiners are generally more than capable of judging your speed without looking at the speedometer. Probably worth double-checking though, you definitely don't want to roll up on the day and then find out you can't take the (non-refundable) test.
Most instructors have their sat nav which tells the speed of the car. Both my instructor and examiner's sat navs did this so don't worry. If you feel more comfortable in your own car then use it, good luck!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
The www.gov.uk driving test web page has a lot of guidance on what is and isn't acceptable. I don't see anything about visibility of speedometer from passenger seat. But it also has an enquiry helpline number so why not check it out to be sure beyond doubt.
Original post by BobbyMalloy
Hey, I've got my own car and have a driving test coming up. I've been driving with my dad in my own car for a while now and much prefer driving my own car versus my driving instructors car.

You'd think that an examiner would be able to tell roughly what speed you're going however there would be no way to confirm my speed if they had to check.

Would this matter? Would I be able to use my car? (Besides this, it meets all the requirements).

I used own car for my test. As long as you are insured, the car has front/rear L plates, an interior mirror for the examiner, can do 60mph at least and is in good condition you should have no problems using your own car. Make sure you learn the show me/tell me questions for the car you use and know where everything is. Good luck.
Reply 6
Did you have any issues? I have my test this weekend and have the same question

Quick Reply

Latest