The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Objectively yes, it is a bad subject. However, an A/A* in it will never be badly seen, I personally recommend doing 4 subjects the first year.
Reply 2
It depends what you're wanting to go into, it's not a bad subject no as long as you learn from it.
Original post by PjdeP
Objectively yes, it is a bad subject. However, an A/A* in it will never be badly seen, I personally recommend doing 4 subjects the first year.

What evidential basis do you have to support your statement 'objectively, yes, it is a bad subject'?

Original post by Dan192
Hey there!

I’m wondering if Business A Level is a bad subject to take - I do feel like I’ll enjoy it in A level.
I’m planning on taking: Maths, Business and English Lit - I think all of them I’ll enjoy.
Is this a good combination that will get me into a lot of unis/open a wide range of courses for me?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Don't choose your A level subjects on some percived 'reputation' or 'prestige' basis - this is what TSR is really bad at doing. Choose your subjects based on interest and ability to do well at them.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
What evidential basis do you have to support your statement 'objectively, yes, it is a bad subject'?

Don't choose your A level subjects on some percived 'reputation' or 'prestige' basis - this is what TSR is really bad at doing. Choose your subjects based on interest and ability to do well at them.

It’s just I’ve seen multiple people say on TSR it’s not really beneficial, it’s a soft subject and doesn’t open many doors for you in Uni

I am interested in the whole business thing as I kinda wanna start a business eventually when I’m older so I think that taking the a level will possibly be beneficial to me. I’m just not too sure
Original post by Dan192
It’s just I’ve seen multiple people say on TSR it’s not really beneficial, it’s a soft subject and doesn’t open many doors for you in Uni

I am interested in the whole business thing as I kinda wanna start a business eventually when I’m older so I think that taking the a level will possibly be beneficial to me. I’m just not too sure

Please ignore this 'soft subject-hard subject' thing. It's a TSR thing, and doesn't really bear much relation to real life.

If you're interested in Business Studies and think it will help you in your future, then I can't think of better reasons to take it.
nah as long as you don't take it with econ you're fine

(overlap between business and econ decreases the workload, and unis will notice this)
Reply 7
Please ignore this 'soft subject-hard subject' thing. It's a TSR thing, and doesn't really bear much relation to real life.

If you're interested in Business Studies and think it will help you in your future, then I can't think of better reasons to take it.

Original post by TheTroll73
nah as long as you don't take it with econ you're fine

(overlap between business and econ decreases the workload, and unis will notice this)

Do you guys think it’s a good combination of having Maths, English Lit and Business? - Will it open a lot of courses for me in Uni?
I don’t really know what I want to do in uni so I’m kinda focusing on the subjects I enjoy/subjects that will open a lot of choices for me in uni
Original post by Dan192
Do you guys think it’s a good combination of having Maths, English Lit and Business? - Will it open a lot of courses for me in Uni?
I don’t really know what I want to do in uni so I’m kinda focusing on the subjects I enjoy/subjects that will open a lot of choices for me in uni

This is a good, strong combination and doesn't really close anything down (apart from very specific subjects like medicine, sciences or engineering etc)
Reply 9

You need to have a defined idea of what you want to do with your life, which i know is hard, I'm 28 and still wonder what i want to do. For social science degrees, like Business Management, Finance, Philosophy and such, you don't need to have the specific a-level to apply for it but rather the grades to show you are diligent in studying and sitting exams.

With more specific degrees like medicine, it is advised you chose the core subjects of maths and sciences to be accepted, look at university websites for the specific requirements.

In regards to your business venture in the future, I have a First Class degree in Business Management. The degree does empower you with greater knowledge around the subject, but i would not advise you to take the Degree in the hopes that you will be more successful at your business in the future. You could literally buy the books i studied on amazon for £20 each to do that, save yourself the 3 years and debt.
Original post by Heroic_
You need to have a defined idea of what you want to do with your life, which i know is hard, I'm 28 and still wonder what i want to do. For social science degrees, like Business Management, Finance, Philosophy and such, you don't need to have the specific a-level to apply for it but rather the grades to show you are diligent in studying and sitting exams.

With more specific degrees like medicine, it is advised you chose the core subjects of maths and sciences to be accepted, look at university websites for the specific requirements.

In regards to your business venture in the future, I have a First Class degree in Business Management. The degree does empower you with greater knowledge around the subject, but i would not advise you to take the Degree in the hopes that you will be more successful at your business in the future. You could literally buy the books i studied on amazon for £20 each to do that, save yourself the 3 years and debt.

You've replied to the wrong person - I'm not the OP.
Reply 11
Original post by Heroic_

Thanks for the response!

I completely understand that taking the subject isn’t going to make me have a successful business but I am hoping to gain at least some knowledge around the whole business idea.

For medicine as you mentioned, I don’t think I would really want my career path towards medicine - I’ve never even thought about medicine since it isn’t really my type of thing.
You’re doing Maths and English which are two “hard subjects” so i don’t see any problem with doing an additional “soft subject” if you’re gonna do well at it and you enjoy it. Not that I particularly agree with the “soft” and “hard” subject notion
Reply 13
You've replied to the wrong person - I'm not the OP.

Sorry. The intention was to follow on from what you said because it was a good point. I am new to using forums.
Original post by Heroic_
Sorry. The intention was to follow on from what you said because it was a good point. I am new to using forums.

That's fine. :smile: And thank you!

You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. Just a tip, if you want to alert someone to the fact that you've replied to a post, or that you want them to see something you've written, you can use the @ sign followed by their username, e.g. @realitycheck This will give them a notification in the top bar.
I've been in sixthfo for 6 months now and I'm starting to rethink my choices but I think it's too late. I feel like business isn't my strong point I try hard but I never seem to even get a C which really annoys me. Should I switch to BTEC as I would still like to do it with out the exams. Or is it too late?
Original post by Dan192
Hey there!

I’m wondering if Business A Level is a bad subject to take - I do feel like I’ll enjoy it in A level.
I’m planning on taking: Maths, Business and English Lit - I think all of them I’ll enjoy.
Is this a good combination that will get me into a lot of unis/open a wide range of courses for me?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Business studies is fine.
Those subjects sound pretty good to me.

Latest