Turn on thread page Beta

Do you find it weird when adults read YA fiction? watch

Announcements
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Seen a lot of discussion around this topic recently - especially on Twitter!

I'm 24 and I personally still enjoy reading a good YA book, most notably fantasy or dystopian YA. I started reading YA fiction when I was around 14 (and went through my Twilight obsession phase):facepalm:and just never really stopped!

What do you think, is it weird when an adult reads a book aimed for a younger audience? Or do you think fiction can/should be enjoyed no matter your age?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by PilboBaggins)
    What do you think, is it weird when an adult reads a book aimed for a younger audience? Or do you think fiction can/should be enjoyed no matter your age?
    Not at all!

Jacqueline Wilson 4ev :heart:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Not really. My first instinct was to think that it is a little odd, but the more I thought about it, the less I found it weird. People enjoy different types of books and if YA books are what they like, that is perfectly fine. Personally, I am not a big fan of YA books, but I can definitely understand why people like them. Besides, it is not uncommon for someone to like something they would typically be considered too young or too old for, so I do not see what the issue with enjoying a book aimed at a younger or older audience would be.

ReputationRep:
    What’s YA ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobby147)
    What’s YA ?
    Young Adult.

ReputationRep:
    What is YA?🤔 I don’t find it weird at all.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with it. It's an escape imo because it reminds me of a time when I still didn't know much about life. Then again, because I am an adult now and have experienced how life can be, it's hard to be able to lose myself in those books anymore. But nonetheless, nothing wrong. I still have some of my books from when I was a child and like to read them too!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    I'm older than you and I still read YA novels (especially fantasy ones) now and again- I don't think you have to be the intended audience to enjoy a book.

I do find YA romance less relatable now, though, so I have stopped reading that, but I still read other books aimed at young adults- the most recent being "the girl in the blue coat" about a teenage girl in Nazi occupied Holland.

ReputationRep:
    You are never too old to enjoy doing what makes you happy.

I am a big man and I still love swinging on the swings in the park.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i do think it's weird tbh. but then again i like to watch teen shows so i guess i'm just as weird.

i *think* when adults read YA they picture the characters to be adults tho. i mean, the characters are usually doing adult stuff like saving world and all that, so it makes sense.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    I never actually liked YA fiction as a teen. It was still an emerging genre at that time and the offerings were pretty dismal. It has become good now! And as much as I hate to say it I feel like Stephenie Meyer deserves some of the credit for that.

YA fiction better describes the characters within the book than I feel it does it's intended market. You know when you go into a YA book that you're about to read about characters who are in their teens or early 20s (although the latter is now technically considered NA (new adult)), and even though it's not directly relatable to us as adults now we all have that experience of once having been a teenager. We can put ourselves in their shoes and understand what they're going through even if it's not how we would react to the situation ourselves now.

I write YA as well as read it. I don't think when I'm writing, 'this is for a teenager I need to write it that way' I write it the same way I would enjoy reading it. Then if I think the way I've handled content is a little too heavy I might dial it back in the second draft.

ReputationRep:
    Good fiction should be enjoyed again and again, irrespective of age and genre.
    I'm still reading Daphne du Maurier, Cate Tiernan and Clement Clarke Moore's "Twas The Night Before Christmas".

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2018
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.