Stegosaurus99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi!

I'm starting my medicine degree next month and was wondering if anyone has a few tips for when I get there (I'm off to Oxford).

I'd be grateful for anything anyone can offer regarding studying, daily life or any little tricks that made the difference for you.

Think I'm just excited to be honest and want to talk about it! XD
Stegosaurus99
Rep:
?
I'm also just scouting around for anyone on my course haha!
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're off to Oxford, you're obviously already a self-motivated, studious person. You will quickly fall into a habit of study that works for you on your own.

But the biggest thing that will make a difference to your time at university is if you're happy. Make sure you enjoy Fresher's week, join some societies, make medic and non-medic friends, and look after yourself. These things made a much bigger difference to my time at university than specific study strategies or textbooks!
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmm...

Enjoy the opportunties you get at uni/Oxford is probably my biggest one. Once you start work you'll not be able to do take that long trip or take up that obscure sport or what have you. Make the most of it.
Learn to not mind being not the best in the year. You might even be among the worst - that's ok, if you are ok with it. Your goals are your own.
Make friends with medics from other colleges by going to inviting formal halls and stuff - its fun.
It is university and students/tutors will often teach/learn for interest rather than for exams... but there is still a syllabus and it exists for a reason and revising to it will make exams easier.
The medics in the year above are probably your best help if you are having problems with something. They've literally just done what you are doing and will have an entirely student perspective, something tutors sometimes can't provide.
Oxford handbook of medical sciences is basically the syllabus written out and explained for you - buy it.
^ That should be the only book you buy though. I really wouldn't be tempted to buy more - the libraries (RSL or college) should be able to provide all you need. Plus the internet is better anyway.
Don't think you can pick a speciality based on its theory alone.
Have fun. Same as the first one, but so important I'll say it twice.
Stegosaurus99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
If you're off to Oxford, you're obviously already a self-motivated, studious person. You will quickly fall into a habit of study that works for you on your own.

But the biggest thing that will make a difference to your time at university is if you're happy. Make sure you enjoy Fresher's week, join some societies, make medic and non-medic friends, and look after yourself. These things made a much bigger difference to my time at university than specific study strategies or textbooks!
Thank you very much. I am proper keen on my football and I intend to play in my free time. Thanks
Stegosaurus99
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
Hmm...

Enjoy the opportunties you get at uni/Oxford is probably my biggest one. Once you start work you'll not be able to do take that long trip or take up that obscure sport or what have you. Make the most of it.
Learn to not mind being not the best in the year. You might even be among the worst - that's ok, if you are ok with it. Your goals are your own.
Make friends with medics from other colleges by going to inviting formal halls and stuff - its fun.
It is university and students/tutors will often teach/learn for interest rather than for exams... but there is still a syllabus and it exists for a reason and revising to it will make exams easier.
The medics in the year above are probably your best help if you are having problems with something. They've literally just done what you are doing and will have an entirely student perspective, something tutors sometimes can't provide.
Oxford handbook of medical sciences is basically the syllabus written out and explained for you - buy it.
^ That should be the only book you buy though. I really wouldn't be tempted to buy more - the libraries (RSL or college) should be able to provide all you need. Plus the internet is better anyway.
Don't think you can pick a speciality based on its theory alone.
Have fun. Same as the first one, but so important I'll say it twice.
Thanks. You study/studied medicine at oxford right?

I'm really excited to try some new stuff like rowing so I'll definitely be looking at everything I can handle.

I bought that book a couple of weeks ago and have had a quick look through. It was recommended in the freshers handbook for medics and the author, Robert Wilkins, will be my college (St Edmund Hall) tutor which is great!

I guess I'll dive right in then. Thanks again!
Stegosaurus99
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
Wilkins is great but I definitely wouldn't have bought his book :p: Oh well too late.
No no Robert Wilkins was the main author to the oxford handbook of medical sciences. I bought the oxford handbook
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Stegosaurus99)
No no Robert Wilkins was the main author to the oxford handbook of medical sciences. I bought the oxford handbook
Oh right - good job then!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (64)
23.44%
No (209)
76.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed