Where are the limits a school should have when deciding students uniforms? Watch

H20 III
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
same limits a professional business would have?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by x.tashholly.x)
Recent changes by my secondary school were made about school uniform over the summer holidays here are some of the changes:

-Pencil Skirts are banned (skirts must also be knee length)*¹
-Plain studs and small hoops only (earrings only, other piercings are banned)
-No dyed hair, unless its a natural colour (Blonde, Brown, Ginger, Black)
-No jackets (denim or hoodies) are allowed under or over your blazer (even at breaks, if its cold you can only wear a coat)
- Makeup is restricted to only natural tones ( anything past winged eyeliner must be removed)
- Socks must be plain black
- School shoes must be only black including sole (trainers are also banned unless they are used in sport)
- hair cannot be cut under a few centimeters (hairstyles that are shaved at the sides but not at other parts are allowed)*²

Punishments for any of these can include being sent home, detention or just a warning depending on how bad the pupil incorrectly dresses. It is understandable if the focus of this was to make students look smart however it restricts the students way of expressing themselves. So I would like to know how far do you think schools can go with dress code before they have crossed the line?

*¹ Pencil skirts were banned because the school believed they were a struggle for the girls to wear
*² Pupils aren't allowed to cut their hair too short as they may be seen as a thug-like character
Which bits do you think are unreasonable?

Its a school and they get to decide. You can decide whether or not to attend there or not. If you want to attend then follow their rules.
Izbizelsbels
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nothing there is unreasonable. What element do you believe is?

(Original post by x.tashholly.x)
Recent changes by my secondary school were made about school uniform over the summer holidays here are some of the changes:

-Pencil Skirts are banned (skirts must also be knee length)*¹
-Plain studs and small hoops only (earrings only, other piercings are banned)
-No dyed hair, unless its a natural colour (Blonde, Brown, Ginger, Black)
-No jackets (denim or hoodies) are allowed under or over your blazer (even at breaks, if its cold you can only wear a coat)
- Makeup is restricted to only natural tones ( anything past winged eyeliner must be removed)
- Socks must be plain black
- School shoes must be only black including sole (trainers are also banned unless they are used in sport)
- hair cannot be cut under a few centimeters (hairstyles that are shaved at the sides but not at other parts are allowed)*²

Punishments for any of these can include being sent home, detention or just a warning depending on how bad the pupil incorrectly dresses. It is understandable if the focus of this was to make students look smart however it restricts the students way of expressing themselves. So I would like to know how far do you think schools can go with dress code before they have crossed the line?

*¹ Pencil skirts were banned because the school believed they were a struggle for the girls to wear
*² Pupils aren't allowed to cut their hair too short as they may be seen as a thug-like character
doks
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
that's really relaxed compared to my school.. it seems reasonable. looking modest/professional is a part of work life and after all you're representing your school
katf
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nothing seems excessive. They aren't demanding you spend a fortune on items that must be bought through a supplier. Some schools demand students spend a fortune on tartan skirts or blazers that need to be bought at a certain shop, and cost a fortune.

Mine tried to force my mum to buy a uniform like that. She told them to sod off because it's unfair on poorer families.
Lilli22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lilligant22 for prime minister and i will allow school uniform to be your jammies and slippers

free cups of tea also included
x.tashholly.x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Izbizelsbels)
Nothing there is unreasonable. What element do you believe is?
I understand that most of those changes would be the same for professional businesses but restriction in simple things that students can use to express themselves like earrings seems unreasonable to me, if that's what a student would like to wear then sure go ahead. The banning of pencil skirts has also aggravated many parents as we were only told about this rule after we had come back from summer holidays meaning parents who had splashed some cash on skirts had to then by new ones. I just feel like at some point students will all look the exact same and as smart as it may look its also dull and boring for children as they can't express who they are in the simplest forms.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (15)
9.68%
Disagree (11)
7.1%
Neither agree or disagree (50)
32.26%
Agree (59)
38.06%
Strongly Agree (20)
12.9%

Watched Threads