emma.mae
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m 18 and in my second year at college. I think I’ve chosen the wrong course, I did it last year and it was okay but I was stupid and carried it on this year. I just can’t see myself getting a job that I would enjoy in it, it’s just not for me. I really wish I’d taken media, I did media for gcse and didn’t enjoy it at the time because our teacher wasn’t good at all, and we only really learnt the basics, but now I wish I’d taken it further and studied it at college 🙃 how am I going to get a job in media, or study it at university without a qualification in it :/
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emma.mae)
I’m 18 and in my second year at college. I think I’ve chosen the wrong course, I did it last year and it was okay but I was stupid and carried it on this year. I just can’t see myself getting a job that I would enjoy in it, it’s just not for me. I really wish I’d taken media, I did media for gcse and didn’t enjoy it at the time because our teacher wasn’t good at all, and we only really learnt the basics, but now I wish I’d taken it further and studied it at college 🙃 how am I going to get a job in media, or study it at university without a qualification in it :/
What course are you doing now? Is it an extended diploma?

Perhaps you can ask to do a diploma or extended certificate? There might still be time to switch.

If you want a degree in media [no needed for media] then traditional A levels will do

https://university.which.co.uk/advic...to-study-media
Carolinpvieero
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emma.mae)
Usually media degrees don't necessarily need you to have studied media previously, some may require you to do at least one essay based subject like English but even without it might be worth contacting some universities and asking if it's a requirement of theirs.

and in terms of experience, as someone who did both GCSE and A-level media, I learnt more in terms of practical skills from google than my course, even though the theory was quite interesting it's nothing you wouldn't be able to either research in your own time if it interests you or could catch up on in a degree. If you're hoping to get more experience I would recommend creating some of your own content if you're interested in the practical side of things as it'll probably be more helpful than a qualification could be. (I got most of my experience from the BFI Film Academy regional and residential courses, so if you live somewhere that they're running it and you're interested in filmmaking I would 100% recommend it!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.05%
I'm not sure (3)
2.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (42)
32.56%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (59)
45.74%

Watched Threads