Should I do GCSE further Maths if I want to do A - level math Watch

username4036932
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi!

I just wanted to get your opinion on whether it is necessary to GCSE FPM if I want to do a level math?

Thanks!
mquail
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It definitely isn't necessary but it will give you a head start on some of the A level maths so would make your life easier in year 12.
Holllyy
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I did further maths GCSE and am now doing a levels and in my opinion I think you should. It doesn't require too much extra effort and in my opinion it's much more enjoyable than GCSE maths and will give you an idea as to what a level is like.

also if you want to do a level maths you should be able to handle GCSE further maths so it will give you an idea if you have what it takes lol
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username4036932
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Holllyy)
I did further maths GCSE and am now doing a levels and in my opinion I think you should. It doesn't require too much extra effort and in my opinion it's much more enjoyable than GCSE maths and will give you an idea as to what a level is like.

also if you want to do a level maths you should be able to handle GCSE further maths so it will give you an idea if you have what it takes lol
Ok thanks. I am pretty sure that I can handle further maths. I just wanted to know if there would be a significant impact.
Holllyy
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
its not a requirement or anything but it will make a level maths a lot easier in the beginning
maiishaa-a
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by username4036932)
Hi!

I just wanted to get your opinion on whether it is necessary to GCSE FPM if I want to do a level math?

Thanks!
to do a level maths at its not necessary to do Further at all depending on the sixth form or college you're applying to they'll have criterias you gotta meet e.g. some may ask for A/7 as a minimum grade in maths or even a 5/6 (B)
Yoshiko Yūjin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi! I am also doing FPM for this coming June! (2019)
I sat the normal gcse maths this year and got a 5...so I’m resitting that too as well as FPM
I haven’t met anyone doing further maths so I’d love to get in touch with anyone who is!
My skype name is ‘nughayr’ please do message I’d love to give help and help!
Y12_FurtherMaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Yoshiko Yūjin)
Hi! I am also doing FPM for this coming June! (2019)
I sat the normal gcse maths this year and got a 5...so I’m resitting that too as well as FPM
I haven’t met anyone doing further maths so I’d love to get in touch with anyone who is!
My skype name is ‘nughayr’ please do message I’d love to give help and help!
Is it wise taking FPM if you’re resitting GCSE maths?
Yoshiko Yūjin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths)
Is it wise taking FPM if you’re resitting GCSE maths?
Why not? For the GCSE maths it’s just revision and more past papers.
Y12_FurtherMaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Yoshiko Yūjin)
Why not? For the GCSE maths it’s just revision and more past papers.
Well FPM will be much more challenging than regular maths and if you got a 5 in that, chances are you will struggle with FPM
chloelee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I didn’t take f maths gcse but I take f maths as an a level. There are some girls in my class who took f maths gcse which meant that they were familiar with some of the newer topics with the a level. However my teacher explained how f maths gcse probably isn’t the most helpful because you understand HOW to do something without understanding WHY it works. With f maths a level it’s definitely important to understand why as well as how bc it makes application of methods and techniques a lot easier especially with more complex problems. I hope this helped
ambiplasma
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I didn't do gcse further and I definitely didn't need it at all to do maths a level, the topics didn't seem to cross over too much
However if you're planning to do further a level DEFINITELY pick it, I had to do so much catch up for that and tbh I still am a bit a year in
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.54%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (546)
59.48%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (130)
14.16%

Watched Threads