Bipolar and college

Watch
Master Class
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,

I have recently started A-level Psychology in my second year at college (two years in one) alongside my BTEC Sport and Exercise Science course level 3 (I am in my last year of this course, so I am off to Uni next year). However, I have recently been diagnosed with Bipolar. Therefore, should I drop A-level Psychology to focus on my mental health instead of spending time on revising, exam techniques, catching up etc?

I have noted that my mental health has slowly got worse over the last 18 months, so now I am diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, should I use my free time to focus on my mental state instead of academic progress?

Furthermore, I have Autism, so I get anxiety on a frequent basis in addition to struggling socially, thus, finding it stressful when I am around people in lessons. Therefore, if I dropped the A-level Psychology, I could work on this aspect as well with a therapist who I have recently started to see.

Thanks for your time.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you don't need A-Level Psychology then I see no real reason why you should study it if you feel it's exacerbating your MH issues, but it might be worth talking to a teacher at your college to discuss this? Tutor? Pastoral care?
Master Class
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pathway)
If you don't need A-Level Psychology then I see no real reason why you should study it if you feel it's exacerbating your MH issues, but it might be worth talking to a teacher at your college to discuss this? Tutor? Pastoral care?
Hi,

I believe that I can carry on, but I have fought so hard to get on the course originally that I feel that my teachers will look at me with aversion and stupidity if I simply say "I have just got diagnosed with Bipolar, so sorry for messing you all around." Additionally, I have told all my teachers that I could cope with the work, in fact, I know deep down that I can, but now that I am aware of my diagnosis, I feel that this should be more of a priority since my mental health is declining slowly, yet painfully. I have neglected my mental health for the last 18-24 months, but with Bipolar being a part of me now, I feel that this is the correct step (as you have stated). However, I just feel embarrassed, ashamed, and a failure for stopping/quitting because I have always told my family, friends, and teachers that my disabilities do not hold me back (Autism, dyslexia, dyspraxia and now bipolar).

Thanks for replying.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Master Class)
Hi,

I believe that I can carry on, but I have fought so hard to get on the course originally that I feel that my teachers will look at me with aversion and stupidity if I simply say "I have just got diagnosed with Bipolar, so sorry for messing you all around." Additionally, I have told all my teachers that I could cope with the work, in fact, I know deep down that I can, but now that I am aware of my diagnosis, I feel that this should be more of a priority since my mental health is declining slowly, yet painfully. I have neglected my mental health for the last 18-24 months, but with Bipolar being a part of me now, I feel that this is the correct step (as you have stated). However, I just feel embarrassed, ashamed, and a failure for stopping/quitting because I have always told my family, friends, and teachers that my disabilities do not hold me back (Autism, dyslexia, dyspraxia and now bipolar).

Thanks for replying.
Don't feel ashamed for struggling. Sometimes things are a little too much to cope with. I originally took on four A-Levels (biology, chemistry, physics and psychology) and I had to drop physics as I couldn't cope with it alongside my health. You're not a failure you are just aware of your limits! It might be worth talking to your teachers though to see if anything can be put in place to help you carry it on, but ultimately if it's too much, it's too much. And that's when dropping it is the better option. I wish you luck in your studies and I hope your health begins to stabilise more now that you know what you're dealing with. I hope you're getting help to deal with your disabilities too? (professionally and from friends/family).
Master Class
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pathway)
Don't feel ashamed for struggling. Sometimes things are a little too much to cope with. I originally took on four A-Levels (biology, chemistry, physics and psychology) and I had to drop physics as I couldn't cope with it alongside my health. You're not a failure you are just aware of your limits! It might be worth talking to your teachers though to see if anything can be put in place to help you carry it on, but ultimately if it's too much, it's too much. And that's when dropping it is the better option. I wish you luck in your studies and I hope your health begins to stabilise more now that you know what you're dealing with. I hope you're getting help to deal with your disabilities too? (professionally and from friends/family).

Thanks for the advice/help. I just had high hopes to do really well in that A-level, but since my bipolar has been diagnosed and I am now fully aware of it, I am just not willing to put myself under the stress that I once was willing to go through since I am conscious of the consequences that can happen if my bipolar is not treated with an earnest approach. As well, I know that my behaviour should not become even more sporadic since my life outweighs a single A-level.

I wish you all the best for the future (studies, health, happiness, etc.), and yes, I am getting help from family and professionals.

Thanks for this conversation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (76)
16.27%
No one else does (142)
30.41%
I'm embarrassed about my background (54)
11.56%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (165)
35.33%
We don't use a video platform (7)
1.5%
I don't have a camera (11)
2.36%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (12)
2.57%

Watched Threads