lucyjane1233
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Ok, so I might just be going crazy but a part of me thinks I should never have applied for university, I really don't think I'm mentally stable enough to even cope with it and I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do in the future.

I'm currently on my second day of my induction (I'm studying journalism) and I've so far not been a million % sure I'm in the right place. At first I felt so rushed to find a course to do and I thought it would be really good, but having really experienced a lot of it, I don't think I'm going to enjoy the next 3 years as much as I'd hoped. My mental health has been awful and I've had really rubbish things happen to me recently in my personal life, I just don't know what to do anymore.

I'm also commuting from home so I have the awful homesick aspect out the way, but a part of me thinks I'm on the wrong course.. need an opinion..
DatMelaninChick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're not 100% sure or in the right mind set, then yes you should drop out or take a gap year. Always remember that "YOUR MENTAL HEALTH COMES FIRST" slow down.
If there is a course that you want to go to, see if you can move onto that course or if not, do the foundation year at that uni so you can enter that course. And if you still don't know what to do... Take a gap year.
Remember that it's never to late, so don't feel like you're stuck or like you don't have any options, university will always be there, remember that.
But personally my advice would be to take a gap year if your not in a rush, since you feel like your not in the right mindset and course. However the choice is ultimately up to you and its definitely not too late to change your mind.
Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lucyjane1233)
Ok, so I might just be going crazy but a part of me thinks I should never have applied for university, I really don't think I'm mentally stable enough to even cope with it and I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do in the future.

I'm currently on my second day of my induction (I'm studying journalism) and I've so far not been a million % sure I'm in the right place. At first I felt so rushed to find a course to do and I thought it would be really good, but having really experienced a lot of it, I don't think I'm going to enjoy the next 3 years as much as I'd hoped. My mental health has been awful and I've had really rubbish things happen to me recently in my personal life, I just don't know what to do anymore.

I'm also commuting from home so I have the awful homesick aspect out the way, but a part of me thinks I'm on the wrong course.. need an opinion..
If you’re having any doubt then cancel and at least take a gap year
Anonymousmouse1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lucyjane1233)

Hello, first of all if you go to the university it should be seen as a life time investment. It should not be hurried and I hold the opinion that most people should go to universities when they are a bit older and 100% sure that they want to BE there. Wanting to be there will determine how much effort you will put in and how much you will enjoy learning. DON'T go for the sake of going to the university just because everybody does. Another advice would be that you should think about mental health first and university second. A lot of universities offer help with mental health but make sure you are stable enough to go to university. It is hard enough to be there for people who have no problems with mental health. For this reason I have put off university for a few years myself. When you are at the university you need to focus on learning and you cannot do that efficiently if you are dealing with mental health problems. Regardless of what you choose,make sure you are completely content with your decision.:tea:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads