The Student Room Group

Couldn’t finish my ACA professional level exam due to sickness

I couldn’t finish my FAR professional level exam.

I felt sick 1 hour and 15 minutes in and requested the invigilator to allow me to go to the toilet where I vomited. After I wasnt in the right frame of mind to continue.

I have applied for special consideration but don’t know if it will be accepted.

I saw my GP today and they gave me letter that basically said I vomited and couldn’t continue the exam and to take this into account. I don’t know how sufficient this will be.

Has anyone been in this situation before?
Original post by e^x
I couldn’t finish my FAR professional level exam.

I felt sick 1 hour and 15 minutes in and requested the invigilator to allow me to go to the toilet where I vomited. After I wasnt in the right frame of mind to continue.

I have applied for special consideration but don’t know if it will be accepted.

I saw my GP today and they gave me letter that basically said I vomited and couldn’t continue the exam and to take this into account. I don’t know how sufficient this will be.

Has anyone been in this situation before?

Maybe maybe not.
It does say

By attending the exam, you will be presumed to be fit to take the exam and able to fully demonstrate your knowledge and skills. Y

A void mark is

If you are granted special consideration for personal circumstances,then the Assessment Committee will void your exam mark. If you are granted special consideration for exam environment issues,then the Assessment Committee will consider whether to void your exam mark, or in exceptional circumstances they may make an adjustment to the mark, and award a void if the mark remains a fail. A void mark means that you will not receive a mark for the exam, it will not count as an attempt, and you will not be eligible to apply for marks feedback.

https://www.icaew.com/-/media/corporate/files/qualifications-and-programmes/aca-evolved/aca-students/exams/special-consideration-policy---june-2017.ashx?la=en

You will have to wait and see. You have done the right things.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Maybe maybe not.
It does say

By attending the exam, you will be presumed to be fit to take the exam and able to fully demonstrate your knowledge and skills. Y

A void mark is

If you are granted special consideration for personal circumstances,then the Assessment Committee will void your exam mark. If you are granted special consideration for exam environment issues,then the Assessment Committee will consider whether to void your exam mark, or in exceptional circumstances they may make an adjustment to the mark, and award a void if the mark remains a fail. A void mark means that you will not receive a mark for the exam, it will not count as an attempt, and you will not be eligible to apply for marks feedback.

https://www.icaew.com/-/media/corporate/files/qualifications-and-programmes/aca-evolved/aca-students/exams/special-consideration-policy---june-2017.ashx?la=en

You will have to wait and see. You have done the right things.

Hi thanks for replying.

I have read that and I was fine on the morning of the exam. I had audit and assurance in the morning and i managed to complete all of it.

I just dont want to have a fail on my record knowing that i was in a difficult situation.
Original post by e^x
Hi thanks for replying.

I have read that and I was fine on the morning of the exam. I had audit and assurance in the morning and i managed to complete all of it.

I just dont want to have a fail on my record knowing that i was in a difficult situation.

You are asking an impossible question. You have done all you can so you will have to wait. The fact you went to the GP and the exam centre could verify you could not complete is about as much evidence you could submit. Wait and see, but I cant see how you could have done much more.

Not sure if they are computerised, but if not I would have left a message on my paper stating could not complete, the time and the illness.
Hi there, please could you let me know on the outcome of the situation? Were you granted special consideration? Just asking out of curiosity, thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Saranya S
Hi there, please could you let me know on the outcome of the situation? Were you granted special consideration? Just asking out of curiosity, thanks

Yes i was granted SC
Original post by e^x
Yes i was granted SC

Out of interest did they void the mark or give you additional marks to pass?
Original post by deatheater4134
Out of interest did they void the mark or give you additional marks to pass?

I’ve had SC before, they almost always just void the exam.. From what I’ve heard the only time they would upscale an exam is if their was an IT issue and time was proven to have been lost (therefore if 20 mins was lost of 3h exam they would upmark it by 20/180 * your mark
Original post by DarkWillow
I’ve had SC before, they almost always just void the exam.. From what I’ve heard the only time they would upscale an exam is if their was an IT issue and time was proven to have been lost (therefore if 20 mins was lost of 3h exam they would upmark it by 20/180 * your mark

I need to apply for SC for personal reasons however my firm has rebooked me to resit on the 10th March, how long does it take to get a response from ICAEW about the outcome of my special consideration?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending