A level Economics VS BTEC Level 3 Business (Equivalent to 1 A Level)

Watch
Dan192
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Which one is better?

A level economics or BTEC Level 3 Business?
Dan192
Rep:
?
bump
Inspiringvisons
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Economics without a doubt as business is not respected at all (both the btec and A-level versions)

if a university even accepts the BTEC they usually prefer the extended diploma
so if you take the btec as equivalent to a single a level you'll be shooting yourself in the foot
The extended diploma is even worse as only a select amount of decent unis accept it .Plus it forces you to go for the business route only
You won't have a chance to change your mind.

Also if you want to apply to a decent university you'll have to take several A- levels with it
TurboZX453
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A level Economics is by far the better option, because it is respected by the universities and you want to be able to apply to your favourite ones. Business and Economics go hand in hand so do not pick both. If you want to pick business you can do so at university, or even pursue an MBA for postgraduate. As a person studying Economics, pick A level economics.

Hope that helps!
Dan192
Rep:
?
(Original post by Inspiringvisons)
Economics without a doubt as business is not respected at all (both the btec and A-level versions)

if a university even accepts the BTEC they usually prefer the extended diploma
so if you take the btec as equivalent to a single a level you'll be shooting yourself in the foot
The extended diploma is even worse as only a select amount of decent unis accept it .Plus it forces you to go for the business route only
You won't have a chance to change your mind.

Also if you want to apply to a decent university you'll have to take several A- levels with it
(Original post by TurboZX453)
A level Economics is by far the better option, because it is respected by the universities and you want to be able to apply to your favourite ones. Business and Economics go hand in hand so do not pick both. If you want to pick business you can do so at university, or even pursue an MBA for postgraduate. As a person studying Economics, pick A level economics.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the response guys - Greatly appreciate it!

TurboZX453 How are you finding Economics? Is it good? Are the topics pretty interesting?
TurboZX453
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dan192)
Thanks for the response guys - Greatly appreciate it!

TurboZX453 How are you finding Economics? Is it good? Are the topics pretty interesting?
Hope I can help! I am finding economics very interesting, the topics are really good especially when you learn about financial markets. The idea of economics is really making better choices and observing how those choices help people and affect many of us. A level economics, is an essay based subject so you must be really good at reasoning, but don't let you put it off. With practice people become really good and you can too! I am in year 13 with predicted A*A*AA, and I hope to study Economics at UNI.
Dan192
Rep:
?
Hope I can help! I am finding economics very interesting, the topics are really good especially when you learn about financial markets. The idea of economics is really making better choices and observing how those choices help people and affect many of us. A level economics, is an essay based subject so you must be really good at reasoning, but don't let you put it off. With practice people become really good and you can too! I am in year 13 with predicted A*A*AA, and I hope to study Economics at UNI.
Thanks for the response!

what topics do you study in economics?
TurboZX453
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dan192)
Thanks for the response!

what topics do you study in economics?
It’s the Edexcel specification. But topics include supply and demand, government intervention, externalities, inflation, market structures etc.
Dan192
Rep:
?
It’s the Edexcel specification. But topics include supply and demand, government intervention, externalities, inflation, market structures etc.
Thank you very much!
Do you think the topics that are learnt will help later down the road if I was to say, possibly start a business?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads