I think I have broken my foot

Watch
Katie lee smith
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Basically I was kicking my bag in school today and then I kicked the table my mistake and it was throbbing for a while and it has swelled up very big and it has been swelled for about 4 hours now and I don’t know if I need to go to the hospital can someone help please.
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You probably don't - just make sure you have full range of movement and see if the swelling goes down overnight - if it doesn't then you could always try a walk-in center. Chances are that you haven't actually broken it though but don't hesistate to get it checked out if you think otherwise.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Katie lee smith)
Basically I was kicking my bag in school today and then I kicked the table my mistake and it was throbbing for a while and it has swelled up very big and it has been swelled for about 4 hours now and I don’t know if I need to go to the hospital can someone help please.
It's more likely something like a sprain, strain or big bruise. If you didn't hear a crack, are capable of moving it, it isn't pointing an odd direction and you don't have any sort of numb or tingling sensations you shouldn't need to do anything immediate.

If it seems to fit the criteria for a break try to do something about it tonight. That could be visiting a walk-in/ urgent treatment/ minor injuries centre, calling 111, or visiting a late night pharmacy.
You should not need to go to A&E. They have more urgent things to be dealing with which means you will have to wait longer for them to get around to seeing you. It's better for you and them if you avoid A&E.

Assuming it doesn't seem like a break, what I would do is follow RICE (rest, ice, compression elevation) for tonight and go somewhere tomorrow. Or see if you have any late night pharmacies in your area (tesco pharmacy is usually open till 10) so you can get some advice there.

Tomorrow you can go to a pharmacy if you haven't already by then. They can take a look and tell you if it is something you need to see anybody else about. Most likely they will be able to help you treat it yourself. Pharmacy is a good first option because you can be seen immediately. You would have to wait to see a doctor anyway so seeing a pharmacist isn't wasting any time and could save you a trip and long wait somewhere else.

If it does not improve with self care or the pharmacist suggests you see somebody else you can call your GP surgery or visit a walk-in/ urgent treatment/ minor injuries centre to get it properly looked at and they can check there is no concern of it being broken. If they believe it could be broken they will send you onto the right people to check that out.

This link gives info on sprains and strains and RICE.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sprains-and-strains/

This link gives info and advice on potential breaks.
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...broken-a-bone/
LOL7890
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by katie lee smith)
basically i was kicking my bag in school today and then i kicked the table my mistake and it was throbbing for a while and it has swelled up very big and it has been swelled for about 4 hours now and i don’t know if i need to go to the hospital can someone help please.
here is some advice..... Dont kick your bag
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads