The Student Room Group

Career change after 14 years in engineering

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice.

I started an apprenticeship at 17 and gained a HNC in an engineering discipline before starting my career properly.

However about 2 or 3 years ago the rot set in and I become bored with the job, mainly due to shifts, long down time, middle management and basically a lack of interest in the field.

I left my job and am currently taxying until hopefully gaining acceptance into college or university depending on what it is I would like to do.

However, I have no idea how a HNC is taken into consideration when applying to university. My main subjects of interest are physiotherapy, computer networking, and teaching (mainly either primary or secondary technical). I know thats a broad range of subjects, but I intend on taking the next few months to really figure out what it is I want to do before committing. The last thing I want is another career where I don't enjoy what I do.

Any advice/help would be great. I've already booked onto uni open days and am visiting drop in centres in colleges in the area this week but I would like some input from students who have experience with a career change.
Reply 1
Original post by Deefur
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice.

I started an apprenticeship at 17 and gained a HNC in an engineering discipline before starting my career properly.

However about 2 or 3 years ago the rot set in and I become bored with the job, mainly due to shifts, long down time, middle management and basically a lack of interest in the field.

I left my job and am currently taxying until hopefully gaining acceptance into college or university depending on what it is I would like to do.

However, I have no idea how a HNC is taken into consideration when applying to university. My main subjects of interest are physiotherapy, computer networking, and teaching (mainly either primary or secondary technical). I know thats a broad range of subjects, but I intend on taking the next few months to really figure out what it is I want to do before committing. The last thing I want is another career where I don't enjoy what I do.

Any advice/help would be great. I've already booked onto uni open days and am visiting drop in centres in colleges in the area this week but I would like some input from students who have experience with a career change.

Hey!

Firstly, congratulations on making what you feel is a positive move in your life. So many people will sit in a job they hate and grind it out, with no ambition or drive to change. I too was in a similar situation and will be attending University in September.

The first thing I would do is identify what courses you are interested and at what specific Universities. Then, contact their admissions department and explain who you are, what your background and professional qualifications are (briefly) and what course you are interested in. Then ask specifically what their entrance criteria would be. Ask whether you will be required to complete additional study. I did this, I had 12 years professional legal experience. I was applying to do a degree in Law. I was told I needed to evidence "recent study". I'm not saying you will be told this, but it is highly likely. In which case, you have a few choices:

- Complete a Foundation Course (If the University offer it)
- Complete an Acccess to HE Course (Either at College or via Distance Learning)

If you are advised what further study you need to show, ask specifically (if its an Access Course) whether they require you to complete a particular Access Course (there are many). They will guide you. From that point on, its about getting that qualification and getting yourself ready for what lies ahead!

The good news is, you are doing this now. I was in your exact spot last year and I got myself enrolled on an Access Course in late September. Get the emails sent out NOW. If you have to complete further study and want to apply for University in the 2019 cycle, you need to get cracking on. College's may take a late Access entry, if you are going to study via Distance, the workload is high. Give yourself the most time possible to complete this.

My guide for you now:

Get on the internet, identify some institutions and universities. Email their admissions team ASAP.
Whilst waiting for a response, research access courses. I have a feeling you may need to do further study and this is the easiest way to do it.
If you are looking to apply for University in 2019, start doing some research about the UCAS process. Look at what a "Personal Statement" is for example.

Let me know how you get on. This forum is great and i'd like to give back some of the time and attention others gave me when I was in your position.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
That is a superb response and really puts my mind at ease, thanks for taking the time.

You second guess yourself all the time at this stage because I walked from a well paid and secure job, but I just couldn't do it anymore. If I'd left it another 4 or 5 years I know I'd end up sticking with it out of fear. I'd rather use those years to study. I'm lucky I have a supportive partner too as I know my income will be drastically reduced when studying.
Reply 3
Original post by Deefur
That is a superb response and really puts my mind at ease, thanks for taking the time.

You second guess yourself all the time at this stage because I walked from a well paid and secure job, but I just couldn't do it anymore. If I'd left it another 4 or 5 years I know I'd end up sticking with it out of fear. I'd rather use those years to study. I'm lucky I have a supportive partner too as I know my income will be drastically reduced when studying.

I was faced with the prospect of chasing promotion that I didn't want, or making the move out. You're right, its so easy to take the easy option in life. To continue without any challenge. No-one ever improved their life passively though, it was all done through change.

Lots of people choose to study later in life. In my opinion, attending Uni when you are more mature and have a focus can only be beneficial. You are there for a purpose, not for the "life experience". You have the benefit of skills you have developed through your life and this will help you in your study.

You don't want to look back in 10 years and think - "I wish i'd done that". I already feel like I wish I had done this years ago. Its better late than never.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending