The Student Room Group

How long will it take to get competent enough to begin doing past papers

I study mathematics, economics and physics for a2 and I'm thinking of studying ahead of my class so I can complete the course and still have plenty of time to grind out revision papers because my school is going to finish the course approximately after April which seems too late. How long will it take to get sufficient enough to do past papers if I spend 2-3 hours per day for further study and do you have any tips to get started.
Original post by MathsPaper2
I study mathematics, economics and physics for a2 and I'm thinking of studying ahead of my class so I can complete the course and still have plenty of time to grind out revision papers because my school is going to finish the course approximately after April which seems too late. How long will it take to get sufficient enough to do past papers if I spend 2-3 hours per day for further study and do you have any tips to get started.

Everyone studies at their own pace so no one can really give you a timeframe unless they know your specific capabilities.

But i remember when i was in alevels i didn't turn up to class for like the first half term in a2 and i did everything myself and was ahead of most of my classes (till i returned and fell back to their snailpace). I say skim through everything fast and try to do some past papers even if you're not 100% certain that you have the content in your head. This is cos most past papers are repetitive and you can actually just learn from your mistakes & revise off the mark scheme. After that you go back and skim through the content again & the notes you made. And then do all the papers again.

One of my mates actually just went straight into the past papers without writing notes, didn't end that well though which is why i said to go through the content.
Reply 2
Original post by DabThruUni
Everyone studies at their own pace so no one can really give you a timeframe unless they know your specific capabilities.

But i remember when i was in alevels i didn't turn up to class for like the first half term in a2 and i did everything myself and was ahead of most of my classes (till i returned and fell back to their snailpace). I say skim through everything fast and try to do some past papers even if you're not 100% certain that you have the content in your head. This is cos most past papers are repetitive and you can actually just learn from your mistakes & revise off the mark scheme. After that you go back and skim through the content again & the notes you made. And then do all the papers again.

One of my mates actually just went straight into the past papers without writing notes, didn't end that well though which is why i said to go through the content.

Thanks man, but I shoulda asked how fast the average student could complete the course, mb.
Original post by MathsPaper2
Thanks man, but I shoulda asked how fast the average student could complete the course, mb.

Surely you can practice questions as you learn the topics? I use a lot of past questions in my teaching and set them for homework. There is no need to push ahead.

Quick Reply

Latest