The Student Room Group

Student finance- providing parent’s income?

Hi,
I’m 19 and haven’t lived with my mum for a year now, I live with my boyfriend and we are both working and studying. I’m currently taking a gap year but already have a place for an undergraduate course starting September 2019. When applying for student finance I’m going to have to provide evidence of my parent’s income, but why is this necessary if I’m completely independent from both my parents? Is there a way I could go around this maybe? I’ve completed a foundation course last year but didn’t need to go through student finance as I wasn’t entitled to anything anyway, So I’m not too familiar with what has to be done.
Original post by Bub999
Hi,
I’m 19 and haven’t lived with my mum for a year now, I live with my boyfriend and we are both working and studying. I’m currently taking a gap year but already have a place for an undergraduate course starting September 2019. When applying for student finance I’m going to have to provide evidence of my parent’s income, but why is this necessary if I’m completely independent from both my parents? Is there a way I could go around this maybe? I’ve completed a foundation course last year but didn’t need to go through student finance as I wasn’t entitled to anything anyway, So I’m not too familiar with what has to be done.

You will be classed as independent if you can prove that you have been financially independent (through payslips or benefits) for 36 months, if you have a child, if you get married or if you can prove that you have been irreconcilably estranged (zero contact) from your parents for 12 months.

Quick Reply

Latest