The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Optometry@Aston University! HELP-Confused!!

Hi,

I applied for a foundation programme in Science leading into Optometry. And will be starting the course at the end of this month. I felt as though I couldn't apply for just BSC Optometry because I wasn't doing "at least 2sciences" which I was told.

For Alevels I did;
BTEC H&SC, Chemistry,English Literature and Psychology.
And my grades were: Distinction,A,C&D

Yet I've been told someone who didn't do sciences for Alevel has got onto the BSC Optometry course? I don't understand?
Does that mean i can be eligible to do the BSC Optometry course with the subjects I already have and that I don't need to do a extra foundation year?

I don't know what to do-I'm confused!

I have an enrolment day in a few days where my qualifications will be looked at-shall I discuss with the staff at the uni then-if Im able to go on straight to the BSC Optometry course?

Thank you-I'm just so confused!!!
Original post by Alisha999
Hi,

I applied for a foundation programme in Science leading into Optometry. And will be starting the course at the end of this month. I felt as though I couldn't apply for just BSC Optometry because I wasn't doing "at least 2sciences" which I was told.

For Alevels I did;

Yet I've been told someone who didn't do sciences for Alevel has got onto the BSC Optometry course? I don't understand?
Does that mean i can be eligible to do the BSC Optometry course with the subjects I already have and that I don't need to do a extra foundation year?

I have an enrolment day in a few days where my qualifications will be looked at-shall I discuss with the staff at the uni then-if Im able to go on straight to the BSC Optometry course?

@Aston University
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Hi,

For Alevels I did;

I'd call them as soon as possible and explain your situation to them because technically you've done 2 science which are chemistry n psychology
Reply 3
Hi,

For Alevels I did;

Hello,

Where did you hear someone without science a levels? I know you're probably thinking what the hell?! I'm 95% sure that without at least 2 sciences (Biology/Maths/Chemistry/Physics for Aston University) you cannot be accepted onto the Bsc Optometry programme. From your qualifications only chemistry would be considered a "Science"- according to their website and undergrad prospectus.

Therefore you are on the right pathway in my opinion by doing the foundation year and that person you heard about is not legit and most likely a rumour. It might be worth a chat to admission but Aston's course is competitive and all places are probably filled anyway.

Good Luck

Quick Reply

Latest