AJ's Autumn Anime Preview 2018

Watch
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This has to be the latest I've ever posted one of these! I hope someone's awake to see it. :ahee: BIG season with a lot of series to offer though, so let's waste no more time and get right into it!

(But first, the usual note: these series are all due to air in the first few weeks of October. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread for some ideas!)

Akanesasu Shoujo

Genre: Action, School, Sci-fi
Animation Studio: DandeLion Animation Studio LLC
Japanese Airdate: Oct 1, 2018
Director: Tamamura Jin (Koutetsu no Vendetta)

(Original post by Summary:)
October, 2018. Girls who live in a provincial city perform a certain ritual. The girls are in the "Crystal Radio Club." It is an interest circle that Asuka Tsuchimiya, a girl known for her cheerfulness, started with friends in her high school. That ritual was considered just an urban legend. However, with several conditions coincidentally falling into place, it stops being fun and games…
The latest in a trend of cute characters doing cute things, until those things go horribly wrong. A sense of mystery is nice, but there's not enough info in the trailer to really catch my interest.

Anima Yell!

Genre: Sports, Comedy, School
Animation Studio: Doga Kobo
Japanese Airdate: Oct 7, 2018
Director: Satou Masako

The story follows Kohane Hatoya, a 1st year high school student who is a bit clumsy and scared of heights but who has a very bubbly and outgoing personality. Kohane decides to join the cheerleading club to try to make friends and overcome her weaknesses.
Doga Kobo doing what they do best: adaptations of slice of life / comedy 4-koma manga. Harmless fun, but the characters and humour will have to be good to make this stand out.

Bakumatsu: Ren`ai Bakumatsu Kareshi Gaiden

Genre: Action, Historical, Samurai
Animation Studio: Studio Deen
Japanese Airdate: Oct 4, 2018
Director: Watanabe Masaki (Bartender, Battle Spirits: Sword Eyes)

Kyoto, Japan. The heroine meets a man who gives her a pocket watch somehow leading to a Torii in a shrine, and suddenly it warps her into the Bakumatsu period. In the world of where there is such a difference in importance of value, she tries to find a way to go back. When she meets a man who has crossed time and says, "I will live for you," a love story between the two blossoms.
More totally original content: time-slipping heroines and bishounen Bakumatsu battlers! Trailer is the same as all other period otome anime, so again it'll need exceptional writing to win me over.

Bakutsuri Bar Hunter

Genre: Adventure, Kids
Animation Studio: Toei Animation
Japanese Airdate: Oct 2018
Director: Setou Kenji (Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san)

Totta loves to fish. One day a bar soul named Potepen appears from the barcode on Totta's bag of potato chips. Together, Totta and Potepen use a special "Bakutsuri" bar rod item to fish for other bar souls.
A surprising amount of early information available, for a kids anime! Anyway, new franchise based on the latest barcode-based monster collecting and fighting game. Not for me.

Beelzebub-jou no Okinimesu mama.

Genre: Comedy, Demons, Fantasy,
Animation Studio: LIDENFILMS
Japanese Airdate: Oct 10, 2018
Director: Kazuto Minato (Roku de Nashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records)

Beelzebub is a great demon lord who rules over several millions of demons. Murin, who decides to serve the demon lord, learns that not only does Beelzebub lack the poise of a great demon, but is also a laid-back girl who likes fluffy things. Thus begins the daily-life comedy revolving around the many villains in the demon world.
Ecchi moe demon lord... nope, this won't be the first Autumn series to really excite me, either. The trailer was packed with cute moments though, so it might not be all that bad.

Conception

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Romance
Animation Studio: Gonzo
Japanese Airdate: Oct 9, 2018
Director: Motonaga Keitarou (Princess Princess, Date a Live)

The story of the game revolves around Itsuki Yuuge, a high school student who finds out on the day of his graduation ceremony that his cousin and childhood friend Mahiru is pregnant. Immediately afterward, Itsuki and Mahiru are taken to a magical world called Granvania, which is currently being invaded by monsters. The only people who can fight and exorcise the monsters are the "star children," and the star children can only be produced by the 12 "shrine maidens of the constellations." In order to defeat the monsters and return to his own world, Itsuki must father the star children with the maidens.
...I mean, I did ask for something original, but other world pregnancies and fathering heroes to save the planet!? I'm not totally convinced that this won't turn out to be a generic isekai harem.

Dakaretai Otoko 1-i ni Odosarete Imasu.

Genre: Drama, Romance, Shounen Ai
Animation Studio: CloverWorks
Japanese Airdate: Oct 6, 2018
Director: Tatsuwa Naoyuki (Nisekoi, Koufuku Graffiti )

Saijyo Takato has reigned as the idol industry's "Most Huggable" for five years, that is, until freshman actor Azumaya Junta appeared. Takato was always considered brusque while Azumaya's smile is winning over admirers by comparison. The whole fiasco drives Takuto to over indulge in alcohol and his actions catch the attention of the last person he wants to see. To his surprise, Azumaya uses this new info to blackmail Takuto for physical affection.
Shounen-ai TV series with adult characters? A rare thing indeed! Though, I have read a lot of BL manga, and they often follow similar patterns and tropes... still not wowed by this season yet.

Double Decker! Doug & Kirill

Genre: Action, Mystery
Animation Studio: Sunrise
Japanese Airdate: Sep 30, 2018
Director: Furuta Takeshi (Uta no Prince-sama: Maji Love Legend Star, Eldlive)

The city state of Lisvalletta. Two suns rise above this city, and the people here live peaceful lives, but in the shadows crime and illegal drugs run rampant. Among them is the dangerous, highly lethal drug "Anthem" which casts a dark shadow over the city. The SEVEN-O Special Crime Investigation Unit specializes in cracking down on Anthem. This unit operates in two man "buddy" teams in what's called the "Double Decker System" to tackle the problem. Doug Billingham is a seasoned investigator, and joining him is Kirill Vrubel, whose abilities are mysterious and unknown.
Some kind of spin-off of Tiger & Bunny. First episode got a pre-release last week, though I haven't watched it yet. Looks decent, has nice and colourful character designs – this one, I like!

Fairy Tail (2018)

Genre: Action, Comedy, Fantasy
Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures, Bridge
Director: Ishihira Shinji (Log Horizon, Super Lovers)

The final season of Fairy Tail.
Super popular franchise, but I haven't seen the first series, so will obviously be skipping this for now. Maybe I'll give S1 a shot now that the end is in sight, however!

Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san

Genre: Slice of Life, Comedy, Supernatural
Animation Studio: DLE
Director: Todoroki Ouru

The comedy manga's story centers on a skeleton named Honda who works in a bookstore. Hilarity ensues daily in his work at the shop's manga counter.
A skeleton main character is pretty original! Especially in a slice of life / comedy setting. Definitely worth a look, though I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up having short-length episodes.

Gakuen Basara

Genre: Action, Comedy, School
Animation Studio: Brain's Base
Director: Oohara Minoru (Glass no Kantai, 18 If)

The Gakuen Basara school battle comedy parody reimagines the Warring States Era warriors of CAPCOM's action game franchise as rival students in a modern high school. Date Masamune and Sanada Yukimura battle to replace Toyotomi Hideyoshi as the next student council president.
Taking a big franchise and slapping its cast in a regular school setting is nothing new. The novelty tends to wear off after a few eps. Might check it out for Wakamoto-sama, mind.

Goblin Slayer

Genre: Action, Fantasy
Animation Studio: White Fox
Director: Ozaki Takaharu (Persona 5 the Animation: The Day Breakers, Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou)

A young priestess has formed her first adventuring party, but almost immediately they find themselves in distress. It's the Goblin Slayer who comes to their rescue—a man who's dedicated his life to the extermination of all goblins, by any means necessary. And when rumors of his feats begin to circulate, there's no telling who might come calling next...
A decent-looking trailer, and it has all the hallmarks of a good fantasy series (which in my book is pretty much just swords and elves). Not sure about the whole species extinction thing, though!

Golden Kamuy 2

Genre: Action, Adventure, Historical
Animation Studio: Geno Studio
Japanese Airdate: Oct 8, 2018
Director: :iiam:

The second season of Golden Kamuy
An easy yes from me; the first series had a great balance of action and comedy, with a really interesting plot and setting.

Gurazeni 2

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Sports
Animation Studio: :iiam:
Japanese Airdate: Oct 5, 2018
Director: Watanabe Ayumu (Nazo no Kanojo X , Uchuu Kyoudai)

The second season of Gurazeni.
The first of two Autumn sequels by the same director; I didn't bother with Gurazeni, though, the comedy wasn't really to my liking.

Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Season 2

Genre: Mystery, Comedy, Drama
Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures, Yomiuri Telecasting
Director: Watanabe Ayumu (Danchi Tomoo, Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara)

The second season of Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari!
And here's Watanabe's 2nd Autumn anime, better known as Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney in English. The first series didn't impress me at all, VERY budget animation.

Han-Gyaku-Sei Million Arthur

Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Animation Studio: J.C.Staff
Japanese Airdate: Oct 25, 2018
Director: Suzuki Youhei (Urara Meirochou, Planet With)

Based on Square Enix's massively multi-player online role-playing game.
None of the sites I've looked at had a more detailed plot synopsis... I'm not familiar with the MMORPG, so still haven't a clue what to expect from this.

Hinomaru Zumou

Genre: Sports, Martial Arts, Action
Animation Studio: Gonzo
Director: Yamamoto Yasutaka (Shinryaku!? Ika Musume, Jitsu wa Watashi wa)

It is a divine ritual, a martial art, a combat sport—it's sumo!!
A "small" new student, Ushio Hinomaru, appears before the weak little sumo club of Oodachi High School! The words "big" and "heavy" are the rules to this sport, which does not fit this newbie any inch, but this guy goes and does what...!? Ushio and the small sumo club climbs its way to the top! The goal is Hinoshita Kaisan, a title for the highest rank in professional sumo, equivalent of Yokozuna.
I've not watched a sumo anime before (there aren't that many of them), so this could end up filling the obligatory sports slot in my watching list!

Hora, Mimi ga Mieteru yo!

Genre: Comedy, Shounen Ai, Slice of Life
Japanese Airdate: Oct 3, 2018
Director: Kanno Chie

The cute story of the daily life between a guy and his cat-boy roommate.
Chinese co-production, based on the manhua 'Wei, Kan Jian Er Duo La!' Two shounen-ai series in one season is virtually unheard of! Of course, this one gets bonus points for cat ears.

Kitsune no Koe

Genre: Music
Animation Studio: Yumeta Company
Director: Ochi Koujin (Kin`iro no Chord: Primo Passo, Sengoku Musou)

Hu Li is a poor but talented high school boy. He is a "ghost" singer/songwriter for the popular and narcissistic boy idol Kong Que, who is very handsome but can barely sing. Hu always wears a fox mask to hide his large facial scar caused by a traffic accident. He also uses a screen name "Mr. Fox" to publish his music online.
Another manhua adaptation; I'm usually indifferent to music-themed series, though this one sounds like it has a more interesting plot than your usual idol anime, at least.

Inazuma Eleven: Orion no Kokuin

Genre: Sports, Super Power
Animation Studio: OLM

The Japanese national football team, "Inazuma Japan", is finally unveiled! Among them, names like Asuto Inamori, Ryouhei Haizaki, Yuuma Nosaka. Elite players from different schools oppose each other. Joined again by a new teammate, Mitsuru Ichihoshi, who has played at a club abroad, the national team leaves Japan to fight the world.

But what awaits them exceeds all their expectations: The plot of mysterious players "Orion Disciples", betrayals, conflicts.

The world junior football championship, FFI (Football Frontier International), is about to start.
Another big franchise that I've not bothered with previously; no point jumping in part-way through. Not quite as unique a sport to focus on as sumo, either.

Ingress The Animation

Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Mystery
Animation Studio: Craftar
Japanese Airdate: Oct 18, 2018
Director: Sakuragi Yuuhei (Nihon Anima(tor) Mihon`ichi, Soutai Sekai)

A project was launched where scientists discovered a mysterious substance that can interface directly with the human brain. This substance, called "Exotic Matter (XM)," has existed since ancient times, influencing human minds and the progress of humanity. In the wake of this discovery, a battle of powerful nations and corporate giants has been unleashed. Organizations across the globe have embarked on a secret race to exploit XM. It represents both an opportunity and a threat to humanity. Two Factions seeks to control the XM. The Enlightened view XM's power as a gift that enhances human experience and discovery. The Resistance sees XM as a hostile takeover of the human mind, choosing technology as humanity's best path forward. XM, and the mystery behind it lie at the center of this battle for the fate of humanity.

2018—Now, a new struggle is about to unfold in Tokyo and across the globe. Dangerous and powerful forces seeking to exploit the potential of XM will collide. This groundbreaking project will mark the beginning of an epic augmented-reality experience combining the three elements of animation, location-based gaming, and the real world.
Intriguing; however, since the 'location-based gaming' element is going to be lost on me, I wonder whether the animation will stand up on its own...

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara

Genre: Drama, Magic
Animation Studio: P.A. Works
Director: Shinohara Toshiya (Gunparade Orchestra, Nagi no Asukara)

Set in the city of Nagasaki, the story takes place in a world where a miniscule amount of magic remains in everyday life. Hitomi Tsukishiro is a 17-year-old descendant of a witch family who grew up with stale emotions, as she lost her sense of color at a very young age. Feeling sorry for her granddaughter's future, Kohaku, a great witch, sends Hitomi to past, the year 2018. Through exchanges with her 17-year-old grandmother and her club members, the story follows Hitomi's growth as a person.
P.A. Works can certainly do drama, and usually deliver in the animation department too! Looking forward to this one, it's different to your usual magic / time travel premise.

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Ougon no Kaze

Genre: Action, Adventure, Mystery
Animation Studio: David Production
Director: Kimura Yasuhiro (Sansha San`you)

Naples, 2001. Giorno Giovanna is a small-time crook with one big dream—to become a "Gang-Star." No ordinary thief, Giorno has a connection to the remarkable Joestar bloodline, and possesses a Stand named Gold Experience. His dream starts to become reality when he meets Bruno Buccellati, a mobster from the gang Passione and a fellow Stand user himself. Realizing that they share similar ideals, and both disagree with the gang's harmful affairs, Giorno reveals his goal to Bruno: with Bruno's help, he will reform Passione by overthrowing the boss.

As Giorno becomes a member of Passione, and is inducted into Bruno's squad, he discovers that it is no simple gang; its numbers are teeming with Stand users. Now confronted by other squads of differing loyalties and unpredictable caliber, their goal to change the gang from the inside out will be a tough one. Taking on these adversaries, Giorno attempts to rise through the ranks and inch closer to the boss, a man who is shrouded in mystery.
JJBA Part 5~ I will of course be watching this, as I did with all previous series. Hard to imagine anything topping Stardust Crusaders, though.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Karakuri Circus

Genre: Adventure, Mystery
Animation Studio: Studio VOLN
Director: Nishimura Satoshi (Trigun, Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting!)

The protagonist, Masaru, has just inherited a big fortune after the death of his father. However, people are trying to get their hands on it by any means necessary, even if it means killing him. Narumi helps Masaru from being kidnapped after fighting strange figures. He finds out that they're not humans, but wooden puppets with amazing strength. After a hard fight, Narumi is forced to admit that he's no opponent for them; and just when he starts to think that Masaru will be captured, Shirogane, Masaru's watcher arrives from France with a weapon, the puppet Arlequin. Here begins the story of Karakuri Circus.
I like the look of this one too, an adaptation of a 90s manga, with a director who's worked on plenty of 90s manga adaptations. 36 eps means that hopefully things won't be too rushed.

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuite Iru

Genre: Drama, Sports
Animation Studio: Production I.G
Director: Nomura Kazuya (Robotics;Notes, Joker Game)

Kakeru, a former elite runner at high school, is chased for stealing food. He is saved by a Kansei University student Haiji, who is also a runner. Haiji persuades Kakeru to live in the old apartment "Chikuseisou" where he plans to team up with fellow residents to enter Hakone Ekiden Marathon, one of the most prominent university races in Japan. Kakeru soon finds out that all of the residents except for Haiji and himself are complete novices.
I don't think I've ever watched a series that focused on simple running as a sport, either. Should have decent animation, coming from Production I.G.

Ken En Ken: Aoki Kagayaki

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Martial Arts
Animation Studio: Studio Deen
Director: Watanabe Hiroshi (Majutsushi Orphen, Shining Tears X Wind)

Adaptation of Xuanyuan Sword role-playing game franchise.
I'm glad I found a trailer, or else I'd have nothing to work with here! Magical swordsmen vs horrendously clunky CGI mechs, by the looks of things... meh.

Kirakira Happy Hirake! Cocotama

Genre: Slice of Life, Magic, Fantasy
Animation Studio: OLM
Japanese Airdate: Sep 6, 2018
Director: Nitta Norio (Kamisama Minarai: Himitsu no Cocotama)

The new series will focus on a new protagonist named Haruka Hoshinogawa, and a Cocotama god born from her precious ribbon.
An early starter, first episode has been out for a week already... unlikely to get subbed, though. Clearly designed to sell toys to children, though at least the play sets look decent!

Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet

Genre: Action, Comedy, Romance
Animation Studio: LIDENFILMS
Director: Takuno Seiki (Udon no Kuni no Kin`iro Kemari, Koi to Uso)

The story takes place at Grigio Academy Boarding School where students come from two rivaling countries known as the "Black Dogs" and "White Cats". Persia and Inuzaka are leaders of their perspective dorms but they are secretly in love with each other. Now, they must keep their relationship a secret from other dorm mates while trying to avoid trouble.
Meh. Romance anime aren't usually my cup of tea. Production values seem decent though, and it seems lower on fanservice than most. You could do far worse than this.

Merc Storia: Mukiryoku no Shounen to Bin no Naka no Shoujo

Animation Studio: Encourage Films
Director: Oizaki Fumitoshi (Romeo x Juliet, Acchi Kocchi)

Merc Storia takes places in a world where humans and monsters coexist. The protagonist, Yuu, is a healer apprentice and possesses the ability to tame monsters. In a quest to regain the memories of Merc, a girl confined in a bottle, the pair embarks on a journey.
This looks adorable! Hopefully a cuter, more relaxed fantasy series than the likes of Goblin Slayer. May give it a shot.

Ore ga Suki na no wa Imouto Dakedo Imouto ja Nai

Genre: Romance, Comedy
Animation Studio: NAZ
Japanese Airdate: Oct 10, 2018
Director: Furukawa Hiroyuki (Shin Strange+, Hajimete no Gal)

The story centers around the younger sister Nagami Suzuka and the older brother Yuu. Suzuka is a beautiful third-year middle school student who has excellent grades and is the student council president. She wrote a novel about a little sister who dotes on her older brother, and the the novel wins a light novel award. After they discuss the matter, Yuu is the one who debuts as a proxy light novel author instead of Suzuka, under the pen name Chikai Towano.
An anime adapted from a light novel about a girl who wrote a light novel about brothers but got her brother to debut as the light novel author instead... what? Generic onii-chan tsundere fluff.

Radiant

Animation Studio: Lerche
Director: Kishi Seiji (Hamatora The Animation, Tsuki ga Kirei)

Seth is an aspiring sorcerer from the Pompo Hills area. Like all wizards, he is an "infected," one of the few living beings who survived the contact of the Nemesis—creatures fallen from the sky that contaminate and decimate all those they touch. Being immune to them, Seth wants to become a Hunter and fight the Nemesis. But more than that, Seth wants to engage in a quest that goes beyond the simple hunt for monsters. He wants to find the Radiant, their presumed cradle. Aided by a faction of fellow sorcerers, he travels the world in search of the Radiant, under the harsh scrutiny of the Inquisition.
Based on a French manga... a term that many Western anime and manga sites aren't comfortable with, but apparently it's a great series, enough that it got noticed and adapted in Japan!

Release the Spyce

Genre: Action, School
Animation Studio: Lay-duce
Director: Satou Akira

The series is about a girl named Momo who attends high school at the city of Sorasaki. However, she is secretly a member of Tsukikage, an intelligence agency that protects people. As a new member of the agency, she works alongside her colleagues including her senior Yuki and friends. Together, they work to establish peace in the city.
Promo art and character designs didn't impress me. Synopsis sounded fairly run-of-the-mill. Newbie director. Then, I watched the trailer. Very decent-looking action, great music. I'm sold!

RErideD: Tokigoe no Derrida

Genre: Sci-Fi
Animation Studio: Geek Toys
Director: Satou Takuya (NieA Under 7 , Steins;Gate)

The year is 2050. A young engineer named Derrida Yvain became famous thanks to his contribution to the development of the "Autonomous Machine DZ" at Rebuild, the manufacturing company founded by his father. One day, Derrida and his colleague Nathan discover a flaw in the DZs and try to warn their boss, but are ignored. Although Derrida and Nathan are aware of the danger, they reluctantly decide to put off taking any measures, and instead go to Nathan's daughter Mage's birthday party. The next day, after enjoying a peaceful day, Derrida and Nathan are suddenly attacked by unknown forces. At the end of the escape, Derrida falls into a cold sleep machine and 10 years later, he wakes up to a devastated world in the middle of a war. While Derrida is attacked by a group of out of control DZs, he almost gives up, but he recall's Nathan's last words.

"Take care of Mage."

Despite the harsh fate that has fallen upon him, Derrida sets off to seek Mage.

Beyond the time, we reunite - this is the story of a journey for hope.
I'm mostly in this for the character designs – ABe's art hasn't featured in an anime for 15 years! Trailer and synopsis aren't bad though, I do like sci-fi and time travel.

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume o Minai

Genre: Romance, Comedy, School
Animation Studio: CloverWorks
Director: Masui Souichi (Scrapped Princess, Sakura Quest)

Puberty Syndrome—a rumored, mysterious syndrome that only affects those in their puberty. For example, a bunny girl suddenly appeared in front of Sakuta Azusagawa. The bunny girl's real identity is Mai Sakurajima, a teenage celebrity who is currently an inactive high school senior. For some reason, her charming figure does not reflect in the eyes of others. In the course of revealing the mystery behind this phenomenon, Sakuta begins to explore his feelings towards Mai. Set in a city where the skies and seas shine, Sakuta unfolds the meaning behind his bizarre encounters on women with the said syndrome.
Based on a light novel, as you can tell from the title, which is about long enough to form chapter 1. Something about puberty, and bunnygirls. And jellyfish, in the promo art! Still not interested.

Senran Kagura: Shinovi Master - Tokyo Youma-hen

Genre: Action, Comedy, Ecchi
Animation Studio: TNK
Director: Yanagisawa Tetsuya (Kyoushirou to Towa no Sora, High School DxD)

The second season of Senran Kagura
So THAT'S where all this season's nudity, breast groping and pantyshots were hiding! I've had 5 whole years to watch the first series, but never quite managed to get around to it. What a shame.

Sora to Umi no Aida

Genre: Adventure, Space, Sci-fi
Animation Studio: TMS Entertainment
Director: Nigorikawa Atsushi (Ani Tore! EX, Ren`ai Boukun)

Set in Onomichi City, six girls dream of becoming Space Fishermen. They aim to capture god-eating monsters that leave fish vulnerable, as well as enemies which they encounter.
Space fisherman. Pretty much sold on that premise alone, and I'm also very curious to find out what 'enemies' someone in that profession would even attract!

Souten no Ken Regenesis 2nd Season

Genre: Action, Historical, Martial Arts
Animation Studio: Polygon Pictures
Japanese Airdate: Oct 2, 2018
Director: Kazumi Yoshio (Souten no Ken: Regenesis)

The second cour of Souten no Ken: REGENESIS.
The 3D animation split viewers, as it always does, but most reviews I've read of S1 were positive nonetheless! ...I'll get around to Fist of the North Star one day, I promise!

SSSS.Gridman

Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Mecha
Animation Studio: Trigger
Japanese Airdate: Jul 6, 2018
Director: Amemiya Akira (Nihon Anima(tor) Mihon`ichi, Uchuu Patrol Luluco)

Collaboration with Tsuburaya Productions.

Yuta Hibiki awakens with amnesia and the ability see things that others cannot. He first encounters a Gridman in the reflection of his friend Rikka Takarada's computer and it tells him to "Remember his calling," but Yuta doesn't understand what this means. Later, in the distance, he sees an extremely large monster but it doesn't move. It's only when Yuta gets to school that the two sightings make sense: a monster attacks and the hero Yuta saw in the computer screen pulls him within the computer and transforms Yuta into a giant hero named Gridman.
Feels very retro, with its mech designs and giant kaiju villains – of course Tsuburaya have a hand in it! A definite maybe from me.

Sword Art Online: Alicization

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures
Director: Ono Manabu (Dragonaut: The Resonance, Mayoi Neko Overrun)

"Where...am I...?" Before he knows it, Kirito has made a full-dive into an epic, fantasy-like virtual world. With only a murky recollection of what happened right before he logged in, he starts to wander around, searching for clues.

He comes upon an enormous, pitch dark tree (the Gigas Cedar), where he encounters a boy. "My name is Eugeo. Nice to meet you, Kirito." Although he is supposedly a resident of the virtual world – an NPC – the boy shows the same array of emotions as any human being.

As Kirito bonds with Eugeo, he continues to search for a way to log out of this world. Meanwhile, he remembers a certain memory deep down within him. He remembers racing through the mountains with Eugeo as a child... A memory that he should not have in the first place.

And in this memory, he sees someone other than Eugeo, a young blond girl. Her name is Alice. And it is a name that must never be forgotten...
This is an actual third series of SAO, not another spin-off. Additionally, it has been confirmed that this will be airing for a full year. I didn't watch S2 though, so again will be skipping this.

Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken

Genre: Action, Comedy, Fantasy
Animation Studio: 8bit
Director: Kikuchi Yasuhito (Macross Frontier, Comet Lucifer)

Lonely thirty-seven-year-old Mikami Satoru is stuck in a dead-end job, unhappy with his mundane life, but after dying at the hands of a robber, he awakens to a fresh start in a fantasy realm...as a slime monster! As he acclimates to his goopy new existence, his exploits with the other monsters set off a chain of events that will change his new world forever!
Ordinary guy gets transported into a fantasy world. Most generic, wish-fulfilment premise ever. Coming back as a slime is a novel twist, but will it be enough to carry the series on its own?

Thunderbolt Fantasy: Touri-ken Yuuki 2

Genre: Action, Drama, Fantasy

The second season of Thunderbolt Fantasy
As with French manga, this Taiwanese puppet show divides the listing sites... I mean, in this case I can see why, it's a completely different medium! But S1 was great, so I'll be watching~

Toaru Majutsu no Index III

Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Magic
Animation Studio: J.C.Staff
Director: Nishikiori Hiroshi (Kidou Tenshi Angelic Layer, Juuousei)

The third season of Toaru Majutsu no Index
Interesting to see that, 7 years after Index II, this is still the 3rd most highly anticipated anime of Autumn 2018 (after SAO and Fairy Tail). As with the other two though, I won't be watching!

Tokyo Ghoul:re 2

Genre: Action, Horror, Psychological
Animation Studio: Studio Pierrot, Pierrot Plus
Japanese Airdate: Oct 9, 2018
Director: Watanabe Odahiro (Soul Buster: Shousei Ran, Tokyo Ghoul:Re)

The second cour of Tokyo Ghoul:re
And here we have the 4th most highly anticipated series of the season, according to AniChart. Oddly enough, I'm not watching this either, as I fell behind on Tokyo Ghoul long ago.

Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san

Genre: Comedy, Slice of Life, Supernatural
Animation Studio: Studio Gokumi, AXsiZ
Director: Akitaya Noriaki (Bakuman., Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hachi Gakari)

The modern-day vampire comedy centers on high school girl Amano, who was saved from a strange incident by a vampire girl named Sophie Twilight, and has been interested in her ever since. Akari arrives at her house uninvited and the two start to live together. Although a vampire, Sophie never attacks humans, but purchases blood and anime goods via mail and lives a modern life.
I've watched, what, five or six different slice of life series featuring vampire protagonists in highschool? One thing I will say though, they were all good, and the trailer for this looks fun too!

Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu

Genre: Drama, School, Sports
Animation Studio: Kyoto Animation
Japanese Airdate: Oct 15, 2018
Director: Yamamura Takuya

The story follows Minato Narumiya. Minato played Japanese archery in middle school, but after a certain incident, he ran away from the sport. In high school, Minato meets new friends, and together as part of their school's archery club they aim to win the prefectural tournament.
Archery! Occasionally features in anime series, you may have one character who's in a club, but I've not watched a full series on the sport before. KyoAni too, so the animation will be solid.

Uchi no Maid ga Uzasugiru!

Genre: Slice of Life, Comedy, Shoujo Ai
Animation Studio: Doga Kobo
Director: Oota Masahiko (Minami-ke, Sabagebu!)

Having lost her mother at a young age, Misha Takanashi, a second grader with Russian blood, now lives with her Japanese father. Tsubame Kamoi, formerly a Self‐Defense Force officer, comes to the Takanashi household as a housekeeper. This is a home comedy where Kamoi, a hardcore lolicon, attempts to get near Misha as she tries to fight against her.
As I said with Anima Yell! right at the start of this preview, Doga Kobo are good at comedy. This director in particular is one of my favourites. But the subject matter? I think this is an easy no.

Ulysses: Jeanne d`Arc to Renkin no Kishi

Genre: Action, Fantasy
Animation Studio: AXsiZ
Director: Itagaki Shin (Basquash!, Mayoi Neko Overrun!)

The story takes place in 15th-century France, during the Hundred Years' War with England. Montmorency, the son of a noble, immerses himself in the study of magic and alchemy at a school for knights. However, after France's defeat at Agincourt, the school is disbanded and Montmorency is forced to flee. While on the run he meets a miraculous village girl named Jeanne.
Jeanne d`Arc, one of the few things that might show up more frequently in anime than vampires and fantasy world resurrections! Synopsis sounded normal enough, but the trailer was... odd.

Yagate Kimi ni Naru

Genre: Drama, Romance, Shoujo-ai
Animation Studio: TROYCA
Director: Katou Makoto (Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatte Iru)

Yuu has always loved shoujo manga and awaits the day she gets a love confession that sends her heart aflutter with bubbles and blushes, and yet when a junior high classmate confesses his feelings to her...she feels nothing. Disappointed and confused, Yuu enters high school still unsure how to respond. That's when Yuu sees the beautiful student council president Nanami turn down a suitor with such maturity that she's inspired to ask her for help. But when the next person to confess to Yuu is Nanami herself. Has her shoujo romance finally begun?
A more appropriate shoujo-ai series, phew! I'm not really into romance anime as I've said previously, but the diversity this season is refreshing, if nothing else.

Zombieland Saga

Genre: Action, Horror, Supernatural
Animation Studio: MAPPA
Director: Sakai Munehisa (One Piece Film: Strong World)

The usual mornings. The usual music. The usual self. For seven girls, a peaceful life was all of a sudden destroyed. All at the hands of zombies, dead things that somehow remained moving. Now they step into a new world, whether they liked it or not. A "zombieworld" that represented both the best and the worst. The seven girls had only one wish: "We want to live."
And finally... vampires in anime are super common. Zombies? Not so much, for some reason, so I'm more than intrigued by Cygames' latest animated project.

All the info has been sourced from AniChart, AniDB, ANN, Youtube and MAL. If you think I've missed any upcoming full-length TV anime off this list, let me know and I'll look into them.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Watching:

Zombieland Saga

Hinomaru Zumou

Goblin Slayer

Golden Kamuy 2

Dropped:

Akanesasu Shoujo

Release the Spyce

SSSS.Gridman

Anima Yell!

Dakaretai Otoko 1-i ni Odosarete Imasu

Yagate Kimi ni Naru

Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet

Merc Storia: Mukiryoku no Shounen to Bin no Naka no Shoujo

Karakuri Circus

Radiant

Conception

Sora to Umi no Aida

Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara

Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume o Minai

Gakuen Basara
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 2 years ago
MushiRock11
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by _MushiRock11_;undefined)
To Aru Majutsu Index S3
Sword Art Online: Aliciazation
Golden Kamuy 2
Tokyo Ghoul:re S2
Double Decker! Doug and Krill
Fairy Tail: Final Series
Re;Zero OVA: Memory Snow
Irozoku Sekai no Ashita kara
Goblin Slayer
Tsurune
Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume no Minai
Koi to Uso OVA

By the time half the episodes of the Season airs, I might be reducing this to 8-10 shows.
Well, there you have it. I probably shouldn’t keep up with so much shows since my AS result was disastrous, but I just can’t ignore all/any of these potential gems coming soon.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
LATE. I know. I've been ill. But now, it's Autumn Anime time! :yay: Starting with the one that isn't really anime:

Our puppet protagonist with the unpronounceable name, Shang Bu Huan, is back! He tries to find a safe place to leave the dangerous Sorcerous Sword Index, but an old enemy soon learns of its location, kills the people guarding it, and makes off with half of the artifact after it gets damaged during the fighting. The episode set the scene nicely, introducing new characters such as the bard Lang Wu Yao and villain Xie Yingluo, and it'll be interesting to see both sides battling to get the other half of the Index. Music by Sawano Hiroyuki was phenomenal; the animation (beautiful puppets + a mix of special and practical effects) is very unique, most of the time it works, other times it looks bad. Will probably keep this on.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Zombieland Saga

Well played, very well played! I went in expecting cute girls trapped in a zombie apocalypse, but no. Humanity is fine, it's just these girls who are undead. The 'Saga' in the title is a reference to Japan's Saga prefecture, and our cast of seven main characters have been brought back from their graves to save the area's tourism industry by becoming local idols. Except in this first episode, only one of the seven has any level of sapience, and their necromancer / manager / epic makeup artist is pretty happy to just leave her in charge of everything. The rest just want to bite people. This ep was hilarious, and I can't wait to see what madness the next one will bring. Picked up!
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
I'm aware that there are five episodes of this out already, but I've only had time to watch the first, and will review only that to keep things consistent with the others. :yes:

The eponymous Derrida works for a company producing robotic servants. He discovers a major bug in their latest design, the 'DZ', created by his own father. However, the head of the company has no plans to recall the DZs for patching, as they have already been sold to various militaries as war machines. He decides that silencing everyone who knows about the bug is a better option. Stuff happens, and while fleeing for his life, Derrida ends up accidentally cryogenically freezing himself... he then awakens to a world overtaken by angry robots. There is potential, but the writing and animation are nothing special. Music was decent though, and I like series involving time travel. A tentative yes for now.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?

I was always going to pick this up - and given that we're now five series' into the franchise, I knew what to expect by this point. Bright colours, flamboyant character designs and personalities, weird Stand abilities and action from the get-go. Animation seems to be of the usual standard, but we didn't get to see or hear the (usually glorious) OP or ED sequences this week. Basic plot sees Part 4's Koichi travel to Naples in search of a guy suspected of being DIO's son... and as we all know, Stand users are mysteriously drawn to each other. Definitely the best first episode of the season so far, not that I've seen many yet.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Hinomaru Zumou

Ushio is a middle school student and sumo wrestling fanatic, who plans to sneak into a high school known for its strong sumo team, so that he can see their facilities and train with them. Unfortunately, he gets lost and instead stumbles into Oodachi High, whose sumo club has just one member, and whose dojo has been overtaken by delinquents. Despite his small size, notably below the minimum height required to go professional, Ushio beats up the yobs, wins back the dojo, and turns his goal towards making Oodachi a force to be reckoned with. Decent opening ep for a sporting anime, very likable characters, good animation, and the OP + ED were my faves of the season so far. Picked up!
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
As with RErideD, this first impression is based on the first episode alone, despite the second having also aired. :blow:

It takes a lot to out-do Jojo's Bizarre Adventure when it comes to style, but I think Double Decker just managed it! The narration is fantastic, the humor really appeals to me, and I love Kirill already. The series focuses on crime fighting, specifically crimes involving the drug 'Anthem', which is so dangerous that it has an entire police unit dedicated to tackling it. Main character Kirill starts off as a regular policeman, but after coincidentally getting involved in an Anthem-related case and helping a member of the unit catch the criminal, he gets scouted for the role himself. The other members of SEVEN-O look as though they'll be a lot of fun, too. As with everything else I've watched so far, picked up~
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Let's look at something which didn't make it onto my Want to Watch list for a change - will the first episode make me reconsider?

SSSS.Gridman

A mech series co-produced by Studio Trigger and Tsuburaya Productions of all companies is worthy of a look, at the very least! MC Hibiki wakes up in a house he doesn't recognize, next to a girl he doesn't recognize, and soon realizes that he's lost all his memories. On top of not knowing who he is or where he lives, Hibiki sees a strange robotic figure named Gridman in the monitor of an old PC, and the form of a giant kaiju in the sky outside - both things that his friends can't see. At first, they assume he's just bumped his head too hard... but then, the kaiju comes to life and starts raining fireballs down on everything. Decent production values, and a fair bit of mystery, this one's a maybe~

[EDIT] Dropped to make room for Golden Kamuy 2.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
x
I thought that you would finally take a break and let it be with anime recommendations - I was completely wrong. The next anime I watch is Afro Samurai, if I can. Just five episodes, but epic as hell after what I find out.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
I thought that you would finally take a break and let it be with anime recommendations - I was completely wrong. The next anime I watch is Afro Samurai, if I can. Just five episodes, but epic as hell after what I find out.
Samuel L. Jackson: The Anime. :p: Very good animation, if I remember rightly (it has been a while! :laugh: )

I've got a lot of catching up to do on this season's new anime, now that I'm back home and not (quite as) ill. I've been prioritizing the good/interesting ones so far, and might not have as much time to bash the bad looking ones as I usually do. :sadnod:
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Samuel L. Jackson: The Anime. :p: Very good animation, if I remember rightly (it has been a while! :laugh: )
(...)
The only thing what Samuel L. Jackson and the main character of this anime have in common is the black skin. After I finish Vampire Knight, I try to watch this anime next.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
The only thing what Samuel L. Jackson and the main character of this anime have in common is the black skin. After I finish Vampire Knight, I try to watch this anime next.
Samuel L. Jackson voices Afro Samurai himself, as well as a second character, and was credited as Executive Producer for the series. :p:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Anyway... back to the Autumn series!

Release the Spyce

The yuri-baiting is strong in this one! The series focuses on a group of ninja/spy-type characters who have been keeping the peace since ancient times... exactly why all its members are high school girls is a mystery so far unanswered, alongside their ability to power up by devouring spices. Our main character Momo isn't a member to begin with, but is soon scouted once her classmates learn of her keen eyesight and ability to read people's minds by licking them. No, really. Anyway, it was watchable. The evil organisation they're facing seems intriguing. Animation was passable, music was very good. I do expect that the season has some better shows on offer, but for now it's done enough to make my list.

[EDIT] Dropped to make room for Goblin Slayer.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Time for some more wildcard series - will they prove good enough to knock something else out of my watching list?

Akanesasu Shoujo

MC Asuka and four other highschool girl friends regularly take part in a ritual to 'open a door to another world' - a load of nonsense involving crystals, radio frequencies, and wishes by a tree in a shrine at exactly 4.44 PM. But one day, it works, and they are transported to a shining world of golden snow. The initially cute rabbit-like creatures there soon turn nasty, but thankfully they are saved... by another Asuka from a different dimension. Not a lot else happens... and that's why I won't be picking this up. We didn't see enough of this twilight world, or learn enough about the second Asuka to provide any hook, any reason to come back for a second episode. Not the worst thing I've seen by any stretch, though.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Goblin Slayer [Trigger warning: Rape]

Goblins are the weakest mobs an adventurer can expect to face. But, they're nimble, experienced in combat, and more than capable of taking down an over-confident party of newbies... which is what happens to our protagonist, a young Priestess (it seems nobody has real names in this series). Luckily, she is saved by the eponymous Goblin Slayer, an adventurer who dedicates his life to the eradication of all goblins, despite his high level. With violence and dark themes from the start, this is no happy fantasy series despite all the usual RPG tropes being present. It's captured my interest, but given how skilled Goblin Slayer is, I hope the goblins in later episodes will be better able to put up a better fight!

Dropping Release the Spyce to make room for it.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
More fantasy:

Well, that was boring. Maybe it's just me, this is the top-rated non-sequel of the season on A-P, at the time of writing. But it just feels like more of the same isekai wish fulfillment, and I've just seen enough of it now! Our main character Satoru has a boring life, and feels deep regret at not having had a girlfriend in 37 years. Suddenly, he dies, and as the title suggests is reincarnated as a slime in a fantasy game-like world. Only he isn't 'just' a slime, he's some sort of over-powered uber slime who feels no pain, can create and store infinite healing potions, and can acquire new skills by thinking really hard and talking to himself. At least he doesn't have a smartphone with internet access, I guess. Dropped.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Golden Kamuy 2

Golden Kamuy continues exactly where it left off, following Sugimoto and Asirpa's small party as they attempt to gather patterns tattooed onto escaped prisoners, in hopes of deciphering the location of an enormous hoard of Ainu gold! But they have a lot of enemies who are also after the treasure... and the introduction of a new, bizarre taxidermist character who they've hired to create fake tattoos should make things interesting. TBH I love everything about this series: great setting and plot, writing which can change from completely surreal comedy to deadly serious action in seconds without it feeling unnatural, and decent enough production values. Definitely picked up~

And with that, my lineup is complete! Which feels weird, just 9 days into the month, and after having watched barely any extra series. Hopefully I'll find the time to sample some other new first eps, and you never know, they might be good enough to make me drop something else in order to keep them on. So don't go unwatching the thread just yet! :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (20)
29.41%
No - I have already returned home (8)
11.76%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (14)
20.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (5)
7.35%
No - I live at home during term anyway (21)
30.88%

Watched Threads