Uni of Manchester EEE Degree not accredited anymore; HELP!

Watch this thread
786arslan
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello,

So another sad story, I started my first year last september at UoM for Electrical & Electronics Engineering. I spent too much time partying and little time studying and now I have like a 47% average and I had 3 modules compensated.

I received an email from uni today saying my degree isn't accredited anymore because I have more than 20 credits compensated.

I was "under the impression" that my first year doesn't count to my final degree mark and I wont have to do well to still get a first at the end. 2nd year is worth 25% and 3rd is worth 75%.

I wanted to know how bad exactly is this situation? Will this make my degree lose the "Red Brick" status? I was looking to transfer to the MEng from BEng but since its no longer accredited it seems like a bad idea now. I really didnt want to do a MSc for another 2 years and the tuition fee... what would be the best thing to do? Im confident I can get a first but will it make a difference now?
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 786arslan)
Hello,

So another sad story, I started my first year last september at UoM for Electrical & Electronics Engineering. I spent too much time partying and little time studying and now I have like a 47% average and I had 3 modules compensated.

I received an email from uni today saying my degree isn't accredited anymore because I have more than 20 credits compensated.

I was "under the impression" that my first year doesn't count to my final degree mark and I wont have to do well to still get a first at the end. 2nd year is worth 25% and 3rd is worth 75%.

I wanted to know how bad exactly is this situation? Will this make my degree lose the "Red Brick" status? I was looking to transfer to the MEng from BEng but since its no longer accredited it seems like a bad idea now. I really didnt want to do a MSc for another 2 years and the tuition fee... what would be the best thing to do? Im confident I can get a first but will it make a difference now?
Who in your university emailed you this? What does "modules compensated" mean? Can you retake the required credits?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Hello,

You are going to need to look at your handbook or contact the IET and see about accreditation. the department might just be giving you a kick up the bum and the accreditation relies on you getting a 2:2 degree at the end.

I think considering your performance then your chances of transferring onto the Meng are remote as that requires a higher standard and youve made it look like you cant cope with Beng.

Just get a first and see where you go from there.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
Who in your university emailed you this? What does "modules compensated" mean? Can you retake the required credits?
I assumed this was the department.
Compensated passes are where people fall below 40%, but they let them pass anyway.
Retakes would be capped anyway and they have no extenuating circumstances.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hello,

First year often doesn't "count" BUT you do need to pass it to progress. I suggest you speak to your tutor or student services about your options. You probably won't be able to do the MEng as that usually requires a 2:1+ level of performance.

It may be necessary to retake the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Retakes would be capped anyway and they have no extenuating circumstances.
Even if the retake is capped, it may still be a good idea to take it if available so they can get the credits. I think accreditation might rely on all of the credits from the course being obtained.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
Even if the retake is capped, it may still be a good idea to take it if available so they can get the credits. I think accreditation might rely on all of the credits from the course being obtained.
My understanding is a compensated pass includes the credits.
Have to read the IET rules which the OP can do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.6%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (68)
53.97%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.97%

Watched Threads