The Student Room Group

Uni of Manchester EEE Degree not accredited anymore; HELP!

Hello,

So another sad story, I started my first year last september at UoM for Electrical & Electronics Engineering. I spent too much time partying and little time studying and now I have like a 47% average and I had 3 modules compensated.

I received an email from uni today saying my degree isn't accredited anymore because I have more than 20 credits compensated.

I was "under the impression" that my first year doesn't count to my final degree mark and I wont have to do well to still get a first at the end. 2nd year is worth 25% and 3rd is worth 75%.

I wanted to know how bad exactly is this situation? Will this make my degree lose the "Red Brick" status? I was looking to transfer to the MEng from BEng but since its no longer accredited it seems like a bad idea now. I really didnt want to do a MSc for another 2 years and the tuition fee... what would be the best thing to do? Im confident I can get a first but will it make a difference now?
Original post by 786arslan
Hello,

So another sad story, I started my first year last september at UoM for Electrical & Electronics Engineering. I spent too much time partying and little time studying and now I have like a 47% average and I had 3 modules compensated.

I received an email from uni today saying my degree isn't accredited anymore because I have more than 20 credits compensated.

I was "under the impression" that my first year doesn't count to my final degree mark and I wont have to do well to still get a first at the end. 2nd year is worth 25% and 3rd is worth 75%.

I wanted to know how bad exactly is this situation? Will this make my degree lose the "Red Brick" status? I was looking to transfer to the MEng from BEng but since its no longer accredited it seems like a bad idea now. I really didnt want to do a MSc for another 2 years and the tuition fee... what would be the best thing to do? Im confident I can get a first but will it make a difference now?

Who in your university emailed you this? What does "modules compensated" mean? Can you retake the required credits?
Hello,

You are going to need to look at your handbook or contact the IET and see about accreditation. the department might just be giving you a kick up the bum and the accreditation relies on you getting a 2:2 degree at the end.

I think considering your performance then your chances of transferring onto the Meng are remote as that requires a higher standard and youve made it look like you cant cope with Beng.

Just get a first and see where you go from there.
Original post by Smack
Who in your university emailed you this? What does "modules compensated" mean? Can you retake the required credits?

I assumed this was the department.
Compensated passes are where people fall below 40%, but they let them pass anyway.
Retakes would be capped anyway and they have no extenuating circumstances.
Reply 4
Hello,

First year often doesn't "count" BUT you do need to pass it to progress. I suggest you speak to your tutor or student services about your options. You probably won't be able to do the MEng as that usually requires a 2:1+ level of performance.

It may be necessary to retake the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 999tigger
Retakes would be capped anyway and they have no extenuating circumstances.

Even if the retake is capped, it may still be a good idea to take it if available so they can get the credits. I think accreditation might rely on all of the credits from the course being obtained.
Original post by Smack
Even if the retake is capped, it may still be a good idea to take it if available so they can get the credits. I think accreditation might rely on all of the credits from the course being obtained.

My understanding is a compensated pass includes the credits.
Have to read the IET rules which the OP can do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending