The Student Room Group

what should I do...?

So I am starting university on 1st of October BUT the uni only told me on Friday I need a specific certificate before I can register with them and start my course. I applied for the certificate and the estimated date of it coming out is the 8th of October, so I can't attend any classes or register before it comes out.
Since I can't register with the uni, my student finance will not be issued but my accommodation rent is due in on the 22nd of October..
The certificate though often comes late, I honestly don't know what to do..
how am I supposed to pay my rent? The uni accommodation said that late student finance is not a reason for not paying rent on time, I still haven't contacted them to explain that it is the uni's fault for not informing me about the certificate (they should've informed me about it when they sent me my offer letter)
What should I do?
You should phone up the place for the certificate and see if it can be rushed, just explain your situation and they will probably understand and try to help. If you can't get the certificate in time you could always take out a loan or borrow money to pay for the rent then pay it back immediately after getting your student loan.
You're only going to be missing the first week of uni which is normally a freshers week anyway so no classes you will miss and if you live close to the uni you can still meet your flatmates and get drinks and stuff, so you're not missing out on that much in that aspect.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
You should phone up the place for the certificate and see if it can be rushed, just explain your situation and they will probably understand and try to help. If you can't get the certificate in time you could always take out a loan or borrow money to pay for the rent then pay it back immediately after getting your student loan.
You're only going to be missing the first week of uni which is normally a freshers week anyway so no classes you will miss and if you live close to the uni you can still meet your flatmates and get drinks and stuff, so you're not missing out on that much in that aspect.

The certificate place don't have a contact number only an email and they won't reply to emails unless the certificate still hasn't come out past the estimated date. So they won't reply to me until past the 8th of October :frown: My freshers week starts on the 24th, I can still move into my accommodation, meet my flat mates and all..
Anyway, thank you for your help, I will contact the accommodation to see if they can give me an extension
@Notnek maybe u can help??
I don't know about the certificate but if you can move in don't stress about the rent. No one will kick you out on the 23rd if it's not paid. If you already have the key you have time to pay. They'll probably start sending threatening emails but just ignore them and pay asap.

As for starting the course, in large lectures no one will know if you're not meant to be there. For smaller classes I would speak to your lecturer and explain the uni won't enrol you until you get a certificate which is on its way and you don't want to be behind, they probably won't mind you sitting in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending