The Student Room Group

Flatmates making halls a pigsty

I moved into halls 3 weeks ago (Scottish college) and honestly I do get on with everyone in my floor although I’m somewhat shy I’ve been very sociable and gone to lots of parties etc with them HOWEVER they (especially 1 girl) are genuinely just dirty. This girl washes and brushes her hair ONCE A FORTNIGHT TO ONCE A MONTH, ‘has never washed her bedding’ wears dirty clothes in the rain when we go to Asda so ‘hopefully it washes them’, leaves a trail of everything behind her , even stuck loads of apple stickers on her room key lanyard a few weeks ago and they’re still there. It’s not that big of a problem like it’s grotty but it’s her life and I’m judging her. But none of them wash any dishes or do anything to clean the kitchen at all. The first few days when I noticed dishes getting left I decided not to clean up their mess because it would just become a pattern but now 3 weeks in we have no knives , no pots or pans - nothing clean !!! I have a spoon fork knife cup plate and bowl which I’ve resorted to keeping in my room because they were just getting used and then tossed to the side unwashed.I can only really eat cereal bars, fruit and microwave meals because theirs no facilities to cook stuff because it’s all absolutely filthy ! Someone was sick in our basin and it was rinsed out then all the dishes were placed back in !!! It’s so disgusting !!! I want to make friends so badly I really do but should I say something ? I left a note but it’s not done any good. help! I can’t live like this for a year !
Original post by Caea
I moved into halls 3 weeks ago (Scottish college) and honestly I do get on with everyone in my floor although I’m somewhat shy I’ve been very sociable and gone to lots of parties etc with them HOWEVER they (especially 1 girl) are genuinely just dirty. This girl washes and brushes her hair ONCE A FORTNIGHT TO ONCE A MONTH, ‘has never washed her bedding’ wears dirty clothes in the rain when we go to Asda so ‘hopefully it washes them’, leaves a trail of everything behind her , even stuck loads of apple stickers on her room key lanyard a few weeks ago and they’re still there. It’s not that big of a problem like it’s grotty but it’s her life and I’m judging her. But none of them wash any dishes or do anything to clean the kitchen at all. The first few days when I noticed dishes getting left I decided not to clean up their mess because it would just become a pattern but now 3 weeks in we have no knives , no pots or pans - nothing clean !!! I have a spoon fork knife cup plate and bowl which I’ve resorted to keeping in my room because they were just getting used and then tossed to the side unwashed.I can only really eat cereal bars, fruit and microwave meals because theirs no facilities to cook stuff because it’s all absolutely filthy ! Someone was sick in our basin and it was rinsed out then all the dishes were placed back in !!! It’s so disgusting !!! I want to make friends so badly I really do but should I say something ? I left a note but it’s not done any good. help! I can’t live like this for a year !

Talk to the manager of the halls and say it's really unhygienic and get them to have a word with the people.
Original post by Caea

The bits about how many she washes her hair or putting stickers on makes you look petty and is NONE of your business.

These days things are so cheap I would have my own cutlery, pots and pans, then wash them immediately and take them back to my room or put them in my cupboard. That way you clean what you use.

You can either chance a house meeting and see if everyone else wants to live like that and have some rules, cleaning roster etc.

Alternatively if you have a cleaner that comes every week, then mention it to them and maybe your flat can get reported for being a mess. Take some photos as well.

For the moment let them live in it and just clean your own stuff.
But all your own kitchen ware and just face the fact you'll have to clean a piece of unit and a hob when you want to cook. Probably worth having one flat meeting but tbh don't expect too much. Some people are just lazy.
Having already spent 5 odd years sharing flats before (and now v done with it) I've learned you frankly need a firm hand with some things, wee notes and meetings don't cut it, if someone is messing with your living space you call them out on it.

No one really likes doing dishes, but if you leave a murky basin it stinks the place out and attracts loads of flies which start breeding, simple truth is crockery and cutlery is SO much easier to clean right after you've used it,

I couldn't really care how someone lives in their OWN space, ie how often they wash their hair.....but if someone starts leaving big black greasy marks wherever they rest their head on things....yeah you have words (yes this has happened)
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending