mabia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My question for history coursework is "In the context of the USA between the 1865 and 1968, to what extent was Martin Luther King the most significant individual in advancing African American Civil Rights?". I am currently struggling with how to find good sources and interpretations as well how to structure the essay without making it sound like a descriptive story. Could someone help with this please
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mabia)
My question for history coursework is "In the context of the USA between the 1865 and 1968, to what extent was Martin Luther King the most significant individual in advancing African American Civil Rights?". I am currently struggling with how to find good sources and interpretations as well how to structure the essay without making it sound like a descriptive story. Could someone help with this please
Out of interest was this title set for you or is it one you created?

There are lots of sites with civil rights resources on and you should also be using books and the library. That is just basic research and one of the tasks of coursework. You have to keep at it. Its a question thats been asked and answered loads of times on TSR.

Theres also a sticky on how to write a good essay.

Assuming thats the title then write it on a piece of paper and start breaking the question down into its components to understand what you are being asked. This is the key to answering a question rather than it being descriptive. You cnant really answer this question in a descriptive way if you understand what they are asking.

"In the context of the USA [we are talking about the USA]

between the 1865 and 1968, [the relevant time period to be investigated, so you need to cover it all]

to what extent [How far not at all , a bit, a little or a lot?]

was Martin Luther King [ the main person you need to be thinking about]
the most significant individual [ this is the key phrase for me, they are asking you about individuals, so you are talking about comparing him other individuals who advanced civil rights. Who were they and what did they do?? Why were they unique and what was the impact on civil rights?]

in advancing African American Civil Rights?". [advancing is an important word- means to me progressing how far and in what ways were their actions seen to be advancing? Why and what were wider implications? Could the progress made by one person have happened without the contribution of the other?]

You then need to work out10-20 questions you want to answer or issues you want to investigate for your essay.

Carefully plan it so you have a coherent investigation

that starts with what the question means to you.
How you will investigate it and why?
How you will measure the outcome?

Do the analysis and investigation probably by individuals.
Dont forget to do one on MLK

The answer the question as to whether any of them made a more significant contribution. Argue why you reached that conclusion.
Add some more context about how they might have in part depended on each other.
Throw some more oil on the fire about whether individuals were that significant and events might have been a bigger influence.
mabia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank You so much! and no it was a set question
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (76)
15.05%
1 (70)
13.86%
2 (65)
12.87%
20.59%
20.2%
5 (88)
17.43%

Watched Threads