The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Is it easier to get into Oxbridge PhD programs with a masters from Imperial?

Im about to start my masters, and say I got a high 2:1 or a first, would that give me a really good starting place for getting into Oxbridge since Imperial is sort of agreed upon to be the next best uni after Oxbridge in the UK?
Original post by shazz_alm
Im about to start my masters, and say I got a high 2:1 or a first, would that give me a really good starting place for getting into Oxbridge since Imperial is sort of agreed upon to be the next best uni after Oxbridge in the UK?

For a PhD your grades and things like experience matter far more than where you studied. They want the best from all over the world.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
For a PhD your grades and things like experience matter far more than where you studied. They want the best from all over the world.

May I ask what you mean by experience? Do you mean research positions and internships? Because I only did one internship when I was in undergrad that was research based. Im also going to applying for phDs during my last month of masters so im not sure how id be able to fit in more experience :/ or do you mean getting papers published and presenting at conferences and things like that?
Original post by shazz_alm
May I ask what you mean by experience? Do you mean research positions and internships? Because I only did one internship when I was in undergrad that was research based. Im also going to applying for phDs during my last month of masters so im not sure how id be able to fit in more experience :/ or do you mean getting papers published and presenting at conferences and things like that?

You may be competing with people who have had research positions, have published and attended conferences. It's good that you are doing a masters as that will bump up your research experience. All I'm saying is don't be daunted by all of this and apply anyway but don't expect just that fact that you studied at Imperial to impress.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending