Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by afutureteacher_)
    So I've done ten days of school experience in a primary school, back in sixth form, with yr 4.

I know primary is competitive so I'm planning on mentioning that I did a lot more experience at other schools. Is it true that unis would have no way to check that I'd done the other school volunteering I mention? Saying I've been to five schools with all age groups would make my application so much stronger. I know all about teaching from my time with yr 4 so I can talk convincingly about this exaggerated experience.

I'll get a reference from the school I have done experience at so there will be proof I've got experience there.

Would this backfire? Yes I know it's immoral but I don't have time to get more school experience and I don't want to work for free. So objective answers only please.
    Don't lie. If you think you don't have enough experience, get some more.

ReputationRep:
    5 schools is a bit much. I worker at 1 and I still got into my pgce. dont lie. you can risk having your whole ITT application scrapped

ReputationRep:
    I’ve been working in schools for over 20 years and in that time I’ve worked in *counts up in head* 8.
    If you say you’ve been in 5 in a short space of time, someone might smell a rat. Even if you are applying to a far away university it still may not sit right.

Quality is better than quantity, if you have some experience in year 4 that’s great, maybe visit one other school and work in a different year group? If it was a large primary why not try a small village primary. a few sessions would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Also, being objective, if you really, really want this you will put the time and effort in to get the required experience. How can you know “all about teaching” from being in one year group in one school?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing primary ed QTS course (slightly different, but just trying to offer help where I can-- my experience will be different to that of PGCE too, I must add) and I know of quite a few people who went onto the course having had no experience in a classroom, or just the 10 days. Some hadn't been in a classroom since they were a child, but they still got onto the course and are mostly doing well.

Also, when you are asked about placement preferences, you have to list every school you have been in before, and every school you know children in. This is so you can get different experiences. If you end up going to one of these schools 'again' and the staff do not recognise you, you will be caught out.

Alternatively, if you are concerned about money, get a job with kids, that will always benefit you. I worked at a playscheme for 2 years prior to uni and it has helped my practice a lot. Even an afterschool club or something. It's different to the actual classroom, but you can still link theories to what you have seen.

Definitely don't lie. One of the principles we teach children is to not lie...

The right uni will appreciate that you have had some experience

ReputationRep:
    If only takes one e-mail to confirm or refute your claims of prior school experience so IMHO many unis and SCITTs dk actually check.

Also, any school where you have done experience will have a record of visit so if you lie, the school will tell the uni that they never met you.

In some of my interviews,I was asked to talk about the differences between schools and their policies and even though some schools were a distance away from each other, the interview panel people always seemed to know both the schools, teachers and policies that I was discussing.

Rather than tell lies, why don't you actually go and do a few days more school experience at various other schools so that you don't have to tell lies?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Giving away my time for free to schools isn't useful to me right now
    With an attitude like that, it is probably best that you don't apply for teacher training yet.

ReputationRep:
    "I know all about teaching from my time with yr 4"

PLEASE tell me you are a troll.

I wouldn't hire you, OP. And I'll tell you why.
    It wouldn't be because of your amount of experience in schools.
    It would be your arrogant attitude. It doesn't show me that you are a reflective practitioner who is willing to keep on learning throughout their career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonderland.16)
    I'm doing primary ed and I know of quite a few people who went onto the course having had no experience in a classroom, or just the 10 days. Some hadn't been in a classroom since they were a child, but they still got onto the course and are mostly doing well.

Also, when you are asked about placement preferences, you have to list every school you have been in before, and every school you know children in. This is so you can get different experiences. If you end up going to one of these schools 'again' and the staff do not recognise you, you will be caught out.

Alternatively, if you are concerned about money, get a job with kids, that will always benefit you. I worked at a playscheme for 2 years prior to uni and it has helped my practice a lot. Even an afterschool club or something. It's different to the actual classroom, but you can still link theories to what you have seen.

Definitely don't lie. One of the principles we teach children is to not lie...

The right uni will appreciate that you have had some experience
    Hey could I ask (if you know) how those with no experience got on to the PGCE? I have experience from my BTEC course at college but that’s from 2008-2010 and it’s really worrying me this will be irrelevant. I also did a few (very minimal id say 1-3) cover nursery jobs after I graduated from uni in 2013 and maybe 1 or 2 days as a cover TA and that’s about it! Other than that the last three years I have worked as a support worker 1:1 with uni students and still doing so. I have been told the experience part isn’t a requirement but I’ve read on forums it’s harder for me to get a place without any recent experience?! I’m stressing as don’t know what to do!! I could possibly fit in a few mornings of voluntary/observation at schools if they accept me to etc but I just have one morning a week free and I wouldn’t know how many days I’d actually need. Would just 1 even justify that I’ve made the effort to do something recent etc?! Sorry I’m just so stressed trying to figure out what to do 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AH91)
    Hey could I ask (if you know) how those with no experience got on to the PGCE? I have experience from my BTEC course at college but that’s from 2008-2010 and it’s really worrying me this will be irrelevant. I also did a few (very minimal id say 1-3) cover nursery jobs after I graduated from uni in 2013 and maybe 1 or 2 days as a cover TA and that’s about it! Other than that the last three years I have worked as a support worker 1:1 with uni students and still doing so. I have been told the experience part isn’t a requirement but I’ve read on forums it’s harder for me to get a place without any recent experience?! I’m stressing as don’t know what to do!! I could possibly fit in a few mornings of voluntary/observation at schools if they accept me to etc but I just have one morning a week free and I wouldn’t know how many days I’d actually need. Would just 1 even justify that I’ve made the effort to do something recent etc?! Sorry I’m just so stressed trying to figure out what to do 😂
    For what it's worth, Wonderland is on an undergrad QTS course which are generally less competitive for entry than PGCEs, from what I know.

I'd get at least something as that'd demonstrate that you're not just picking teaching because it looks fun or whatever (not that you are!) - having the dedication to organise and turn up to some experience would go a long way. It would also be potentially rather valuable to look back on. I've had weeks of experience which haven't proved so useful in retrospect, whereas I've had days that were relative goldmines - so much happened, I saw some interesting teaching, I tried something new etc.

I'd emphasise the transferable skills from your other roles - a support worker 1:1 will inevitably have a lot of transferable attributes to the primary(?) setting. I'm sure they will expect less recent school experience from someone working full time vs. someone at uni who at the very least has their vacation periods.

If in doubt, just email the specific providers and ask. But I wouldn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AH91)
    Hey!
    Sorry, I should have said, I'm on a QTS program, not a PGCE, so we qualify straight away instead of a PGCE. I thought I said that as I am ususally quite careful about it, but clearly I wasn't this time! So apologies for that confusion! However, I can try and offer my advice. The guidance for courses like my own is just that, guidance. They like people to have recent 10 days to show commitment and interest in actually putting the work, time and effort in. Even if you only manage once a week a few times, it will be appreciated (and you will further down the line as you will have some solid, personal experience to refer to for theories/teaching methods etc, even if it is just observation!) I my experience, sending an email, or even better, calling in to local schools is relatively successful. Around this time of year they appreciate the extra hands. Experience, of any type, is greatly beneficial in my opinion, although not vital.

Although I cannot speak from personal experience at all in reference to the PGCE, I would imagine that it probably is more beneficial to have some experience on your application. Purely because, as previously mentioned, it shows commitment and genuine interest. However, it will depend on your interviews too, and which uni(s) you apply to.

I hope that helps a little? If you can, I would recommend trying to get some experience. It does help, and will probably put your mind at ease too!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    So I've done ten days of school experience in a primary school, back in sixth form, with yr 4.

I know all about teaching from my time with yr 4 so I can talk convincingly
    This is so delusional. Observing one class in one school for ten days is nothing more than a taster. You cannot possibly “know all about teaching”. Any decent ITT will ask you in depth about your experiences, and you will need to show evidence of critical reflection and understanding. You will most likely need to talk about good and bad teaching practices you have observed, the different teaching pedagogies you’ve seen and what you thought of them, and give specific examples of different teaching and behaviour management practices. If you claim to have spent time in five schools, expect to be asked to compare and contrast them.

Alternatively, you could be honest about your experience level, so that you are given questions you can actually answer. Most ITTs will understand that you haven’t got endless amounts of free time to volunteer in schools, and may only expect a few weeks’ experience. Many are also happy for you to state that you intend to gain more experience in the upcoming months, if you can provide verification of this.

I don't want to work for free.
    You do realise this is exactly what you’ll be doing if you get on a teacher training course, right? No one is going to take you on a salaried programme with ten days’ experience in a school.

ReputationRep:
    AH - You sound exactly like the scort of person who would be great on a teacher training scheme but perhaps you could be a little bit more confident in your experience. Everything that you have done so far is great and I would include it on the application form, eg:

2015 - ABC School - Spent five weeks assisting the class teacher with year 6

2016 - XYZ School - Spent three days in the school observing how special schools differ from mainstream schools

Name:  SE.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  156.7 KB

I have included how I actually completed this section on my UCAS form last year.

As you can see I only spent one day in this school but it was enough so that when I went to other schools I could compare and contrast their teaching practice.

Obviously, more observations are better but even though training providers expect you to get experience, schools often don't want to allow people to do observations.

One thing I would suggest is contacting the lead school for the SCITTs in your local area and asking if you can do school experience there or try the school experience link on the Get Into Teaching website (it may have changed name this year).

One thing I would say is don't come across as arrogant like the OP but you have already got that covered as you are maybe a little lacking in confidence. You sound great and you have well rounded experiences so have some faith in your abilities!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PersianCatLady)
    AH - You sound exactly like the scort of person who would be great on a teacher training scheme but perhaps you could be a little bit more confident in your experience. Everything that you have done so far is great and I would include it on the application form, eg:

2015 - ABC School - Spent five weeks assisting the class teacher with year 6

2016 - XYZ School - Spent three days in the school observing how special schools differ from mainstream schools

Name:  SE.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  156.7 KB

I have included how I actually completed this section on my UCAS form last year.

As you can see I only spent one day in this school but it was enough so that when I went to other schools I could compare and contrast their teaching practice.

Obviously, more observations are better but even though training providers expect you to get experience, schools often don't want to allow people to do observations.

One thing I would suggest is contacting the lead school for the SCITTs in your local area and asking if you can do school experience there or try the school experience link on the Get Into Teaching website (it may have changed name this year).

One thing I would say is don't come across as arrogant like the OP but you have already got that covered as you are maybe a little lacking in confidence. You sound great and you have well rounded experiences so have some faith in your abilities!!!
    Hey this is such a thoughtful and uplifting response!!! It’s actually instantly reduced my worries!!! - I have been really worried about my application and experience etc but your right I should be confident in it as it’s all still valuable no matter what. I do also intend to have something arranged in the upcoming months to work around my current job too!! I will go over my application and maybe try and sort it out taking your advice on how to include everything even the one day ones!!

Honestly thank you SO much!! Reading this made me feel a bit better about the whole thing ☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AH91)
    Hey this is such a thoughtful and uplifting response!!! It’s actually instantly reduced my worries!!! - I have been really worried about my application and experience etc but your right I should be confident in it as it’s all still valuable no matter what. I do also intend to have something arranged in the upcoming months to work around my current job too!! I will go over my application and maybe try and sort it out taking your advice on how to include everything even the one day ones!!

Honestly thank you SO much!! Reading this made me feel a bit better about the whole thing ☺️
    Good luck with your application!!

ReputationRep:
    This annoys me. Why would you consider teaching if you can't even organize enough time to get adequate experience? I was also in my last year of Uni when I began getting experience for the 2019/2020 application year and I still found time to balance doing a combined honors course and maintaining a 2:1, playing a sport, doing a day a week at a secondary school, socializing, etc - if it's important to you you'll make it work. Whilst you still have some experience in a school, which is no doubt valuable, you've admitted to doing it quite a while back so this could work against you...

ReputationRep:
    Laura D - Don't worry, the OP is so arrogant and that arrogance will be so obvious at interview.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.