lol is there a specific topic?
PrincessDiaries
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Universe42)
lol is there a specific topic?
I need help with electromagnetism like circuit breakers,generators,electric motor and I need help with galeios experiment
Universe42
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
is this a level or gcse? xx
Ambi64
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
A bit more specific maybe?

Electromagnetism is basically about the forces between electrons, and how they repel each other in different ways. Circuit breakers are like fuses but you can use them multiple times, they stop your electronics from getting overloaded. Generators and motors can convert movement into electricity due to the electromagnetic force. I think that last one you said is meant to be Galileo's experiment which basically shows that everything falls due to gravity at the same speed, but it doesn't look like it normally because of air resistance; if you drop a feather it'll waft around in the air and takes a while to reach the ground. But if you were in a vacuum (a room with no air) then a feather would fall at the exact same speed as a bowling ball (it doesn't matter how heavy they are): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyeF-_QPSbk
PrincessDiaries
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Ambi64)
A bit more specific maybe?

Electromagnetism is basically about the forces between electrons, and how they repel each other in different ways. Circuit breakers are like fuses but you can use them multiple times, they stop your electronics from getting overloaded. Generators and motors can convert movement into electricity due to the electromagnetic force. I think that last one you said is meant to be Galileo's experiment which basically shows that everything falls due to gravity at the same speed, but it doesn't look like it normally because of air resistance; if you drop a feather it'll waft around in the air and takes a while to reach the ground. But if you were in a vacuum (a room with no air) then a feather would fall at the exact same speed as a bowling ball (it doesn't matter how heavy they are): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyeF-_QPSbk
How do generators and motors convert movement in to electrical energy
Ambi64
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
So wires are made of metal which have electrons basically floating around in them, not moving much. You can move electrons in a wire by moving a magnet next to the wire - the electromagnetic force causes the magnet to basically push the electrons, creating an electrical current. A generator is a coil of wire with a magnet inside, and the magnet spins around "pushing" the electrons in the wire and creating electrical current.

A motor is basically the same thing but the other way around, you attach a battery/power source to the wire and the electrical current passes through the coil "pushing" the magnet due to the electromagnetic force, causing it to spin.
PrincessDiaries
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Ambi64)
So wires are made of metal which have electrons basically floating around in them, not moving much. You can move electrons in a wire by moving a magnet next to the wire - the electromagnetic force causes the magnet to basically push the electrons, creating an electrical current. A generator is a coil of wire with a magnet inside, and the magnet spins around "pushing" the electrons in the wire and creating electrical current.

A motor is basically the same thing but the other way around, you attach a battery/power source to the wire and the electrical current passes through the coil "pushing" the magnet due to the electromagnetic force, causing it to spin.
Thanks how about Geiger Miller tube
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads