Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Yes I am a young Christian I do believe in God some people may not believe in him but that’s how they are. Anyway my question if your obsessed or possessive over anyone is that considered idlolizing them ? Wouldn’t God be upset about that cause he doesn’t want us putting no one before him ?
monkeyman0121
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That is a bit vague really. I mean is there a line before it becomes idolising them or being too serious.
H20 III
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd say your're only idolising them if you're putting them first instead of God.

also, being possessive is not wrong to an extent in my view, only when you start trying to be controlling of them when you don't have the right to do so.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes I am a young Christian I do believe in God some people may not believe in him but that’s how they are. Anyway my question if your obsessed or possessive over anyone is that considered idlolizing them ? Wouldn’t God be upset about that cause he doesn’t want us putting no one before him ?
Written to Christians™:

"Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth ... Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence (longing for wrong things), and covetousness, which is idolatry: (Colossians 3v2, 5)
Jmonay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
monkeyman0121how is it vague I don’t get it . Yea there is a line because when u start idolizing them it can become serious where u can become obsessive
Jmonay
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
H20 III thats basically what it was always checking the phone to view the girl pages on social media keeping up with her life so I guess that was idolizing but I wasn’t being possesive of them I’m not a controlling person and I don’t know her .
Jmonay
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
NJA thanks
H20 III
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jmonay)
H20 III thats basically what it was always checking the phone to view the girl pages on social media keeping up with her life so I guess that was idolizing but I wasn’t being possesive of them I’m not a controlling person and I don’t know her .
I think you'd only be idolising if you liked them more and preferred them more than God. as long as God is your #1 then I don't think it's idolising. but if you still feel like it's wrong, then for you personally it's wrong.
thedoulamom
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In the Old Testament, God defines clear instruction in the first two of the Ten Commandments he gave the Israelites. "You shall have no other gods before Me" and "You shall not make unto yourself any graven image" (Exodus 20, NKJV). Then in the New Testament we see Jesus say that the two greatest commandments are to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength." and "Love thy neighbor as yourself." (Mark 12, NKJV) IF a person is truly obsessing over another person, place, thing, etc. then I would say, yes, that is making that thing an idol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (105)
17.68%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.44%
Not great so far... (212)
35.69%
I want to drop out! (114)
19.19%

Watched Threads