The Student Room Group

Doing Essential Skills Maths instead of GCSE

Hi, I'm 18 and currently doing a Level 3 course in IT as I failed sixth form last year, I'm planning to do a higher level apprenticeship when I leave after my two years, but I'm choosing to do Essential skills maths instead of the GCSE Maths, would this be a problem if im applying for a higher level apprenticeship? I mean isn't the essential skills the same as a 'C' in maths gcse? It's level 2 btw.

I did get a D in gcse Maths last year but I just want to focus more on my IT, I am slow in regards to Maths and the reason I struggled in sixth form was because I was doing 2 different subjects plus gcse maths and I just want to focus on the IT
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by xdmccann
Hi, I'm 18 and currently doing a Level 3 course in IT as I failed sixth form last year, I'm planning to do a higher level apprenticeship when I leave after my two years, but I'm choosing to do Essential skills maths instead of the GCSE Maths, would this be a problem if im applying for a higher level apprenticeship? I mean isn't the essential skills the same as a 'C' in maths gcse? It's level 2 btw.

I did get a D in gcse Maths last year but I just want to focus more on my IT, I am slow in regards to Maths and the reason I struggled in sixth form was because I was doing 2 different subjects plus gcse maths and I just want to focus on the IT

It depends on the employer and the apprenticeship you apply for.
It will be ok for some and not enough for others.

Better to pass than fail GCSE.

Your choice.

Quick Reply

Latest