The Student Room Group

HELP! Scared to drive alone!!

I passed my test a year ago and I've almost had my car for a year too. Since then I have barely driven my car (except with my dad on short journeys).

Each time I even think of getting in the car alone I panic and lots of bad thoughts go through my head. I don't know what causes them but they happen all the time and I can't seem to see/think past them! Sometimes it has been so bad that it has stopped me even walking towards my car and getting in!

I really want to go out on my own without any worries because I feel so useless not being able to!
Does anyone have any tips/advice on how I can overcome my anxiety when driving?
(edited 5 years ago)
where you live?:wink:
get in the car alone, take a bottle of water with you. ang drive to a destination with the worst traffic, and then return at night.

if you come home and have no accident youll have get over your fear forever.
Reply 2
Get some more lessons. Go for PassPlus or something. Even an hour with an instructor to refresh a little bit.

Ignore the person above as that's complete rubbish. Driving when nervous will only cause you to drive even worse and increase the chances of an accident.
Reply 3
Original post by xDron3
Get some more lessons. Go for PassPlus or something. Even an hour with an instructor to refresh a little bit.

Ignore the person above as that's complete rubbish. Driving when nervous will only cause you to drive even worse and increase the chances of an accident.

Thank you for the advice :smile:
I've been going out with my parents to help me get used to the roads near me.

I travelled today with my mum (she doesn't drive so I was technically alone xD) and felt a lot more comfortable with changing gear and setting off etc

So I think I'm getting there sort of?
I'd go out on the night when the roads are empty to practice first then. Once you're comfortable you'll realise you're just over-thinking it.

I ride a motorcycle, so therefore the very first time I rode, was alone, and every other time after. When you don't have the option of a passenger, it really puts you in that mind set of "Screw it!" you just gotta get it over and done with, rip that plaster off quick af.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending