is 4 higher in 5th year good enough to study veterinary Watch

Emily_Reid
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Right now i am in 5th year and am studying 4 highers and chemistry at nat 5 although most veterinary university courses in scotland only accept student who have sat 5 highers in 5th year. If i study 4 highers in 5th year and continue to study higher chemistry in 6th year, as well as many practical work experience with animals, will i still have a good chance of getting into a university that offers a veterinary course.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emily_Reid)
Right now i am in 5th year and am studying 4 highers and chemistry at nat 5 although most veterinary university courses in scotland only accept student who have sat 5 highers in 5th year. If i study 4 highers in 5th year and continue to study higher chemistry in 6th year, as well as many practical work experience with animals, will i still have a good chance of getting into a university that offers a veterinary course.
Realistically, in terms of the traditional school -> uni path I think you mean, unfortunately not. Other than the issue of not having the right number of highers in one sitting, chemistry is also the subject they put the most stringent requirements on and (unless there are some extenuating circumstances, in which case the response may be different), there are so many applicants who meet the grade requirements that they don't need to be flexible about grades to fill the spaces they have.
Would it be an option at all for you to be able to do (crash?) higher chemistry this year and hopefully get the grades in 5 highers?
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Labrador99 is right, these courses will not allow you entry into Edinburgh or Glasgow by the conventional route. All the English universities (and Edinburgh and Glasgow) will also want Advanced Higher Chemistry at A or B depending on the university and only Bristol might consider you with 4 Highers.

However Nottingham do a 6 year course (it has a prelim year) aimed at students who didn't have the right combination of subjects - check that out on their website. There will likely be a lot of competition for this course though and they still want 5 Highers, so putting all your eggs in this one basket would be risky.

I know Glasgow accept a specific access to science course but again not many will gain entrance via this route and that may require chemistry in its own right. Even if you aim to get in as a postgrad then they may still want the chemistry and it is such a long and expensive route it really isn't recommended.

I therefore agree that you really need to crash Higher Chemistry this year.

Emily_Reid
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
Realistically, in terms of the traditional school -> uni path I think you mean, unfortunately not. Other than the issue of not having the right number of highers in one sitting, chemistry is also the subject they put the most stringent requirements on and (unless there are some extenuating circumstances, in which case the response may be different), there are so many applicants who meet the grade requirements that they don't need to be flexible about grades to fill the spaces they have.
Would it be an option at all for you to be able to do (crash?) higher chemistry this year and hopefully get the grades in 5 highers?
I am almost half way through the year and i think that changing my choices to crash higher chemistry will be difficult to catch up with the work as i will be behind.
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I understand that, however it leaves you very little choice if you still want to do veterinary medicine. You won't be able to do it in Scotland at all and to go to an English university you'll have to take Higher Chemistry along with Advanced Higher Biology and probably another Advanced Higher in sixth year, and then sit Advanced Higher Chemistry at college, independently or at a private school the following year. The only other choice I suspect might be the 6 year Nottingham course or looking at going abroad where they might have an entrance exam instead.

I am almost half way through the year and i think that changing my choices to crash higher chemistry will be difficult to catch up with the work as i will be behind.
Emily_Reid
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by animalmagic)
I understand that, however it leaves you very little choice if you still want to do veterinary medicine. You won't be able to do it in Scotland at all and to go to an English university you'll have to take Higher Chemistry along with Advanced Higher Biology and probably another Advanced Higher in sixth year, and then sit Advanced Higher Chemistry at college, independently or at a private school the following year. The only other choice I suspect might be the 6 year Nottingham course or looking at going abroad where they might have an entrance exam instead.
Thank you i will reconsider my choices
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University