Mechanism of the reaction between iodine and propanone

Watch this thread
Shawaiz121
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can anyone help me with the mechanism of the reaction between iodine and propanone ?
any site that explains all the steps in details as well .
Thanks
mullac
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/ch...sm-t36754.html
MexicanKeith
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Shawaiz121)
Can anyone help me with the mechanism of the reaction between iodine and propanone ?
any site that explains all the steps in details as well .
Thanks
The answer already given shows the Iodination you would expect under acidic conditions, the mechanism proceeding via the enol.

Under basic conditions a similar reaction occurs via the enolate, the product of such a reaction is more acidic than the starting material and hence undergoes multiple Iodination reactions. Finally the basic hydroxide ions can act as a nucleophile with loss of CI3-.

The details of the reactions of enol and enolates are explained very well in the text book 'Organic Chemistry' by Clayden, Greeves, Warren and Wothers. The reaction I outline under basic conditions is called the Iodoform reaction, google should be able to provide you with its mechanism.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did the exam go for you?

Great! (7)
14.29%
Quite well (22)
44.9%
Not so good (13)
26.53%
Terrible! (7)
14.29%

Watched Threads