Is a maths and actuarial sciences course less reputable than a maths and stats course

Watch
nettogrof
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Currently trying to decide between doing maths and actuarial sciences or maths and stats (or maths and economics) at uni, I was edging more towards maths and stats but after looking at uni courses that have exemptions from actuarial exams, I noticed that the vast majority of courses are maths and actuarial sciences/actuarial sciences with only a couple maths/maths and stats courses offering exemptions from exams (often just one).

I’ve considered becoming an actuary for a while now but equally want to keep my options open as I have no idea exactly what I want to do at the minute, am I better off doing a maths and stats course? If I did maths and actuarial sciences would it be seen as less desirable if I decided I did/didn’t want to become an actuary? PS I don’t know if this has much relevance but I’m not considering any London unis
Advertisement
AnharM
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nettogrof)
Currently trying to decide between doing maths and actuarial sciences or maths and stats (or maths and economics) at uni, I was edging more towards maths and stats but after looking at uni courses that have exemptions from actuarial exams, I noticed that the vast majority of courses are maths and actuarial sciences/actuarial sciences with only a couple maths/maths and stats courses offering exemptions from exams (often just one).

I’ve considered becoming an actuary for a while now but equally want to keep my options open as I have no idea exactly what I want to do at the minute, am I better off doing a maths and stats course? If I did maths and actuarial sciences would it be seen as less desirable if I decided I did/didn’t want to become an actuary? PS I don’t know if this has much relevance but I’m not considering any London unis
To put it short, no. It's not less desirable.

I would have suggested doing BSc Actuarial Science at LSE or City University, but you don't want to go to any London universities.

University of Manchester do an Actuarial Science course I believe. But yeah, my final point is that it's not less desirable. Every employer knows how difficult Actuarial Science is, even though most normal people won't know what it is. In my workplace, I have two Physics graduates. So they aren't just looking for Maths and Stats students if that's what you think. Any sort of mathematics based course is desirable. In terms of how many exemptions employers desire, that defers employer by employer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (101)
15.47%
Uncertainty around my education (106)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (61)
9.34%
Isolating with family (44)
6.74%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (27)
4.13%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (54)
8.27%
Loneliness (68)
10.41%
Financial worries (26)
3.98%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (61)
9.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (43)
6.58%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (62)
9.49%

Watched Threads