Which are the 'good universities' to study dentistry Watch

geek84
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi Folks

My daughter has just started studying for her 2nd year A levels and would like to go on to study dentistry at university.

Could someone be kind enough to give an idea of how to work out which universities are considered 'good' to study dentistry? Does it just come down to the fact that the higher the grades at A level required by a university, the 'better# the course would be?

Or dare all dentistry courses the same regardless of which university it is studied at?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
redhelen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If she is only considering it now she has left it very late for 2019 start as the ukcat finishes at the end of September, there is 2 weeks work experience to fit in, a personal statement to write and open days to attend before October when the UCAS entry needs to be in.

Grades are AAA for nearly everywhere for dentistry so you can't differentiate like that.
iseesparksfly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
From The Complete University Guide: https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...gs?s=Dentistry

1. Glasgow
2. Dundee
3. Manchester
4. Newcastle
5. Cardiff
geek84
Rep:
?
Thanks folks. She will be starting university in September 2019.

Any further suggestions greatly appreciated.
geek84
Rep:
?
H Folks

My daughter has had 1 weeks worth of work experience with a dentist. Is it worth looking for relevant work experience during the Easter and/or Summer holidays next year or would that not be a wise thing to do since her selected universiti4es would have received her application form before then anyway?

Thanks
redhelen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Newcastle for e.g.. need you to have completed it before you apply so you'd need to look at the unis she wants to go to carefully.
Amberooney
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by geek84)
H Folks

My daughter has had 1 weeks worth of work experience with a dentist. Is it worth looking for relevant work experience during the Easter and/or Summer holidays next year or would that not be a wise thing to do since her selected universiti4es would have received her application form before then anyway?

Thanks
She will need to look at what each uni expects as minimum work experience as for some 1 week will not be enough. Has she sat UKCAT?

Extra work experience is never unwise as it will be beneficial to her and help her make sure dentistry is right for her. It won’t really help the application as by Easter she will have already been interviewed. If she doesn’t get in and decides to reapply then the extra work experience may be helpful.

She only has about 3 weeks to finish her application before the deadline so needs to decide which dental schools quick
geek84
Rep:
?
Thanks

She will be sitting the UKCAT exam this Friday.
redhelen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Newcastle for e.g.. need you to have completed it before you apply so you'd need to look at the unis she wants to go to carefully.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bristol is meant to be good apparently.
geek84
Rep:
?
Thanks folks
mn_os
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All unis that offer dentistry get an official accreditation from the GDC for the degree. I don't really think any of the unis are "bad". The league tables seem to change a lot from year to year.
geek84
Rep:
?
Thanks
Joviality
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I wouldn't say there are any 'bad' dental schools they all qualify you to do the same job. If you equate 'prestige' with good, then have a look at the league tables (however biased they may be).
geek84
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Thanks for your reply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads