MehmehBOOM
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is revising at uni different than for Alevels. What’s the best for Med because it’s a lot so is writing out notes best or just reading or anything else..?
kekedoyouloveme?
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hi, what uni did you get into? if you don't mind me asking, I'm currently in year 13 wanting to apply to med with BBC (I know I'll get rejected straight of the bat don't worry I'm not delusional, fully) but I applied to Uni's with low UCKAT cut off score, and uni's that do clearing, Taking a year out and re-applying is a huge possibility and I have applied to Pharmacy, as a back up so I am realistic in a sense. I just wanted to ask what Uni's you applied for and whether you got in med first time around (or did you take a gap year/grad?)

I think you can use the same techniques my cousin is doing her second year in med and she said that her first year was pretty chill, she used the same revision techniques as she did in A-level she made notes, I think she had like a full binder of notes, she made, I think it's the same principle of revision, they may teach you new ways of revising I'm not sure really ahaha.
Ghotay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Every has a different style. Some people swear by Anki and flashcards, I was never into that stuff.

Personally I just wrote out notes summarising EVERY piece of information the medical school directly gave us - lectures, seminars, anatomy sessions. And literally nothing else. I barely cracked a textbook except for anatomy.
Cheesychips1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would write up lectures with some added reading in the pre-clinical years, and then in clinical years use passmedicine question banks and notes from patient uk/ OHCM.

It is different from A-levels, but every Uni examines differently.
Angury
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MehmehBOOM)
Is revising at uni different than for Alevels. What’s the best for Med because it’s a lot so is writing out notes best or just reading or anything else..?
I don't think revising for uni is any different than revising for A Levels. I spent a significant portion of my first year thinking I was going to fail because I wasn't revising like everyone else; I would just read through textbooks rather than writing notes.

However, everyone learns differently. If you found a method than worked well for you, helped you to both retain and understand information at A level, then you should continue with this at university. You will have your own strengths and weaknesses ad there is no 'one method fits all' approach.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You'll find your own style as you progress. During pre-clinical medicine I made lots of notes because that felt like the only way I could get basic science to stick in my head. During clinical medicine I didn't make any notes at all and did lots of online MCQs and read through OHCM/Surgical Talk/At a Glance.
Lightsparkles
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In addition to what others have said, it’s helpful talking to people in older years at your school because your revision strategy should to a certain extent, depend on your curriculum and the style of your exams.
Probably the best thing is not to fall behind and keep up to date with your learning so you don’t face the dreaded cram before exams!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (64)
23.36%
No (210)
76.64%

Watched Threads