The Student Room Group

personal statement dentistry

I haven't done any thing extra at skwl to show leadership, teamwork skills or anything to show I can do more than get good grades, so my ps is very weak I don't know how to talk about skills when I don't have any examples to prove them. pls help me
any charity work as part of school ? any voluntary things you did like assemblies ? help at parents evening ? clubs ? drama performances ? there must be something u will have done
Reply 2
Original post by stonedcake
any charity work as part of school ? any voluntary things you did like assemblies ? help at parents evening ? clubs ? drama performances ? there must be something u will have done

unfortunately nothing, i really cant remember doing any of these, i only got certificates but those were end of term certificates for high school nothing much. my personal statement is over 800 words now without a paragraph on any extracurricular or any other activities ive done
i guess if u got involved in something now (before oct 15) u could add it ?
i guess if u got involved in something now (before oct 15) u could add it ?[/QU

why before oct 15? I thought deadlines were January? Just lost thats all haha :smile:
any work experience?? did you do DofE bronze, any sort of camping (scouts, guides) St Johns.. literally do you play any sport? or instrument you can state what skills you gained from them.. like for any sport football or anything you learn how to work as a team, within your team members you gain cognitive skills like agility physical ability.. with an instrument you have the ability to learn new stuff, .. I guess you can talk about the subjects that you do and what skills you gained from that, like showing ability to analyse graphs for biology, or ability to learn about the body.. I don't know.. I guess you can lie... But I would advise you not to lie if you do you'll have to be very good at lying you have to be convincing because they are very good at detecting lies.. so you gotta make it seem legit they don't really look at DofE stuff I guess you could say that you did Dofe Bronze...

Or take a gap year, so that you have time to do all of those things like volunteering abroad, that way you have a whole year to fine tune your statement.
Reply 6
i guess if u got involved in something now (before oct 15) u could add it ?

yeah i wanted to do that but my school set the deadline way too early, its in a few days and they wont extend their deadline for me to do extra experience , theyre so rude, they allowed another student to have a later deadline for the same reason but not for me. i guess its my luck.
Reply 7
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
any work experience?? did you do DofE bronze, any sort of camping (scouts, guides) St Johns.. literally do you play any sport? or instrument you can state what skills you gained from them.. like for any sport football or anything you learn how to work as a team, within your team members you gain cognitive skills like agility physical ability.. with an instrument you have the ability to learn new stuff, .. I guess you can talk about the subjects that you do and what skills you gained from that, like showing ability to analyse graphs for biology, or ability to learn about the body.. I don't know.. I guess you can lie... But I would advise you not to lie if you do you'll have to be very good at lying you have to be convincing because they are very good at detecting lies.. so you gotta make it seem legit they don't really look at DofE stuff I guess you could say that you did Dofe Bronze...

Or take a gap year, so that you have time to do all of those things like volunteering abroad, that way you have a whole year to fine tune your statement.

thank u so much, i dont do sports but i could say i do, but it would be evident that i dont because i dont take part in any sport clubs. i wanted to read about a book on dentistry but i cant find any in the libraries, i cant order one now either bc my deadline is very soon. but im a very boring person, i havent done any activities apart from just studying lol
Original post by usernamenew
thank u so much, i dont do sports but i could say i do, but it would be evident that i dont because i dont take part in any sport clubs. i wanted to read about a book on dentistry but i cant find any in the libraries, i cant order one now either bc my deadline is very soon. but im a very boring person, i havent done any activities apart from just studying lol

Then try talking to your teachers see what they advise you to do, it could be that you might have to take a gap year (if you want to) dentistry is competitive as it is, you're luck you even got the grades, lmaoo I got 3 B's as my predicted and I'm applying to uni's that do clearing..
Reply 9
Then try talking to your teachers see what they advise you to do, it could be that you might have to take a gap year (if you want to) dentistry is competitive as it is, you're luck you even got the grades, lmaoo I got 3 B's as my predicted and I'm applying to uni's that do clearing..

yeah they tell me to not even bother applying for dentistry, do u want to do dentistry? how do u do clearing do u have to signn up for that? is it only for the unis u put as ur 4/5 choices
yeah they tell me to not even bother applying for dentistry, do u want to do dentistry? how do u do clearing do u have to signn up for that? is it only for the unis u put as ur 4/5 choices

well, I got predicted 3 B's and am applying to med, hoping that I can take a gap year or reapply at the end of this year by clearing I'm gonna try signup as soon as I can for clearing. You can put all 5 choices for dentitsry if you wanted to, but it's better to have a backup I'm applying to Pharmacy which needs (2B's and a C) as my backup. So Look at Uni's with lower grades than your predicted just in case something happens
well, I got predicted 3 B's and am applying to med, hoping that I can take a gap year or reapply at the end of this year by clearing I'm gonna try signup as soon as I can for clearing. You can put all 5 choices for dentitsry if you wanted to, but it's better to have a backup I'm applying to Pharmacy which needs (2B's and a C) as my backup. So Look at Uni's with lower grades than your predicted just in case something happens

thanks, i was looking at some journls on dentistry, some fascinating fact to use but its so hard to find, idk how to show that ive been reading on the news or learnt about dentistry bc i cant find anyhthing unique
I haven't done any thing extra at skwl to show leadership, teamwork skills or anything to show I can do more than get good grades, so my ps is very weak I don't know how to talk about skills when I don't have any examples to prove them. pls help me

Good news! Universities REALLY value interest in the subject- start reading! Gain further knowledge on the subject, do extra research and reading, then show this off in your personal statement :smile: you could even link what you're reading with the course you're applying for! This is a really good option as universities value this quite closely alongside work experience...

PS you can also include things such as travelling (wihin the past 5 years preferably), as it can show interest in different cultures, general knowledge etc etc... you can pretty much talk your way around it :smile: best of luck ! :smile:
Surely you have done work shadowing with a dentist to know that you want to do it? Is there anything there where maybe you interacted with patients that you can mention? Volunteering etc. is really important to show your skills in vocational courses like this I'm afraid...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending