Asap!!!!spd!!!!sos!!!!! Biology question help!!!!! (magnification) Watch

shohaib712
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com...%20Biology.pdf

I'm finding the last question (on the last page) confusing. Its very gey.... I got the magnification as x1000. I essentially used the scale bar to work it out. I worked out the image size of the scale bar (10mm according to the markscheme of the previous question). then divided it by the actual size of the scale bar (10um). And got x1000.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moved to the Biology forum. You've a better chance of getting a fast response if you post in the subject forum rather than the A-level forum.
shohaib712
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Moved to the Biology forum. You've a better chance of getting a fast response if you post in the subject forum rather than the A-level forum.
Thanks bae
y.u.mad.bro?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You know you measured 10mm and the size was 10um? Did you convert the values to the same scale?
shohaib712
Rep:
?
(Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
You know you measured 10mm and the size was 10um? Did you convert the values to the same scale?
YASSSS. Thats why i got x1000 (cuz i did 10000um/10um). The markschemes says some other number. 3.6x10 or something like that :/
y.u.mad.bro?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shohaib712)
YASSSS. Thats why i got x1000 (cuz i did 10000um/10um). The markschemes says some other number. 3.6x10 or something like that :/
Actually, I misread the question. Where did you get 10mm from? If you looked at Q3 (a), the diameter of the cell was 34mm. This means the actual diameter is 34um. From this, you can calculate the magnification?
shohaib712
Rep:
?
Actually, I misread the question. Where did you get 10mm from? If you looked at Q3 (a), the diameter of the cell was 34mm. This means the actual diameter is 34um. From this, you can calculate the magnification?
Im sooo confused. to work out magnification you do image size divided by actual size. the image size of the cell is 34mm. the actual size of it is 34um. divide both together you still get x1000. You could also do the same with the scale bar. the image size of the scale bar is 10mm and the actual size is 10um. therefore the magnification would also still be x1000
y.u.mad.bro?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shohaib712)
Im sooo confused. to work out magnification you do image size divided by actual size. the image size of the cell is 34mm. the actual size of it is 34um. divide both together you still get x1000. You could also do the same with the scale bar. the image size of the scale bar is 10mm and the actual size is 10um. therefore the magnification would also still be x1000
It is indeed. Apologies, I initially got confused myself . I think what they intended to do there was divide the two values which gives x1000 because if you look the top value is the image size while the bottom image is the actual size. This isn't written on the mark scheme for some reason. You are correct
shohaib712
Rep:
?
It is indeed. Apologies, I initially got confused myself . I think what they intended to do there was divide the two values which gives x1000 because if you look the top value is the image size while the bottom image is the actual size. This isn't written on the mark scheme for some reason. You are correct
Thank you very much for the help!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?