The Student Room Group

I don’t know how to start my personal statement?

I’m still unsure but I’m thinking of studying Geography combined with French and eventually becoming a teacher. I have no idea how to start my PS and am not the best at English! TIA
Original post by Panickingdiscos
I’m still unsure but I’m thinking of studying Geography combined with French and eventually becoming a teacher. I have no idea how to start my PS and am not the best at English! TIA

Just start with bullet points of things you want to mention about each subject. Why you want to study that subject, details about things you have enjoyed studying so fay, details about something you have done related to that subject in your free time and details about what you are looking forward to studying in your degree.
Reply 2
Do you mean start as in start writing it, or do you mean start as in what you write for an introduction?

I found that it was really hard to start writing as intros are the hardest thing in my opinion, so I started with “this is my super amazing ps that will make you give me an offer...” and that allowed me to continue writing using points I’d jotted down in a bullet point list. Obviously then go back and delete that sentence and potentially add an intro sentence. For me it turned out that my second sentence worked as an intro sentence as it just flowed well from the silly opening I began with.
Original post by jacksouth
Do you mean start as in start writing it, or do you mean start as in what you write for an introduction?

For my intro!
For my intro!

If you haven't done the middle of it yet begin with that.
Most people write the middle and end and then go back to the beginning-it makes it easier
For my intro!

Don’t stress too much. Even “I want to study this because...” is absolutely fine.

I found it super hard to start an intro straight away and so I made a bullet-pointed list for each of the paragraphs I had in mind.

1) what you want to study Geography combined with French.
2) work experience/volunteering and what you learnt. (even if you didn't do work experience, just any experience, what you learnt from it and how it encouraged you to do the course you want to do)
3) any other experience and what you learnt from it (this is if there is any other experience. if not, then go straight into 4)
4) Extra curriculum, any extra readings.
5) understand that the course will be very different from A-levels and streesful but you're willing to work hard. you can always start with a personal anecdote of why you want to do the course and end it personal to give it a nice and smooth finish but that is not neccessary.

Once you've got a list, start writing and it will be a lot easier.

The tips I gave are based on my experience and I applied for a science degree so i don't know how helpful they may be for you but i hope it helps in one way or another.

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply