Beating trichotillomania once and for all! Watch

laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

Beating trichotillomania once and for all!

(hopefully)

Hi :hi: I have trichotillomania which sucks :grumble:
But this is a sort of blog I hope to keep to try and motivate myself to stop my trich forever! :rave:
(Emphasis on the word ‘try’ :lol:)

What is trich?
Well it’s a hair pulling disorder, and you basically just have the urge to pull out hairs from your head, eyebrows, eyelashes etc.

It is sometimes likened to a mixture of anxiety and ocd which I would say is a fair judgement. For me it comes on most when I am stressed, although recently it’s just got pretty uncontrollable tbh :unsure:

What have I done about it?
I didn’t know this was a thing until about a year ago, despite suffering with it for about 3 years previously :cry2: so I haven’t gotten any help for it. (Me + parents went to the doctors when I was about 10/11 because they saw my head was missing hair at the back (they assumed it was falling out and I said that it was bc I was too scared to say that I was pulling it out )
- I would obviously recommend for anyone to go to the doctor if you have this or anything similar - there really is no positive of keeping it to yourself! -

So yeah that’s my story - I know this isn’t the most life-changing condition in the world, but it has had a big impact on my self esteem and mh in general and I would really like to change this :yep:

Hopefully I can start updating this blog daily from tomorrow (13/09/18) and have a trich free day:crossedf: (starting small)

Keep smiling :heart:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Proud of you for starting this! Posting to subscribe :penguinhug:
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Day #1

Well, y’know I said I’d have a trich free day? Yeah... didn’t exactly go to plan :lol:

Hair count:
IIIII IIIII III (13)
all from the head, but there were several attempts at the eyelashes throughout the day:unsure:

So I think I will try and get under 10 hairs per day (?) as 0 seems quite unrealistic at present

If any of you read this and have any questions, I’m more than happy to try and answer them for you
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by laurawatt)
x
Good luck! :console:
laurawatt
Rep:
?
I might also add that 13 is a relatively low amount of hairs that I pull out per day, probably because I have been actively thinking about it - however in between posting my last update and this one (about 2/3 minutes apart) I have made 5 attempts to pull out eyelashes
:yy: well done laura
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I might also add that 13 is a relatively low amount of hairs that I pull out per day, probably because I have been actively thinking about it - however in between posting my last update and this one (about 2/3 minutes apart) I have made 5 attempts to pull out eyelashes
Things will improve, you just need to make the first move. You're doing really well! Try not to get too down on yourself. :console: Have you ever had therapy for it?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Huge hugs and try not to beat yourself up. Breaking habits (particularly ones that involve/revolve around mental health) is exceedingly hard to do. Remember, "Rome wasn't built in a day" :console:

:hugs:
laurawatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pathway)
Things will improve, you just need to make the first move. You're doing really well! Try not to get too down on yourself. :console: Have you ever had therapy for it?
:hugs: thank you
No I’ve not when I first started, I had no idea what it was, so I was scared that my parents would be disappointed if I told them, so when they asked I just said it was falling out

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Huge hugs and try not to beat yourself up. Breaking habits (particularly ones that involve/revolve around mental health) is exceedingly hard to do. Remember, "Rome wasn't built in a day" :console:

:hugs:
:hugs: thank you this has helped me see things more clearly :yes: I shouldn’t be disheartened if I can’t stop in a day, it will take time
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Ohh I heard about this a couple days ago on YouTube, Ashley Perez did a video about it (would recommend watching) – didn't know that was a thing but I can imagine it's hard to overcome. Best of luck 💚
laurawatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ohh I heard about this a couple days ago on YouTube, Ashley Perez did a video about it (would recommend watching) – didn't know that was a thing but I can imagine it's hard to overcome. Best of luck 💚
Thank you, and I'll go and check it out!
HeartBlink
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Watching! I didn't know this was a thing so thank you, now i know and the very of luck with this, you should be proud of yourself for writing this blog :yes:
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:lovehug: best of luck Laura
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What a lovely idea for a blog post! Hope this goes well for you

My only experience of trich is through a Youtuber called Beckie, perhaps you’ve heard of her?
laurawatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by FloralHybrid)
What a lovely idea for a blog post! Hope this goes well for you

My only experience of trich is through a Youtuber called Beckie, perhaps you’ve heard of her?
thank you
Yep, i watched one of her videos a while ago, but thank you for reminding me! she has some really useful videos that i'd forgotten about
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Day #2

yayayayayayayayay - good day today, and coincidently one of the least stressful/pressurising days since i've gone back to school, so combined with actively thinking about not picking out hairs, i have't!

Hair count:
II (2)
yes, you read that right :nutcase: 2! :party:

feeling super proud but i do know that not every day will be like this, so savouring the good feeling while it lasts
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Day #2

yayayayayayayayay - good day today, and coincidently one of the least stressful/pressurising days since i've gone back to school, so combined with actively thinking about not picking out hairs, i have't!

Hair count:
II (2)

feeling super proud but i do know that not every day will be like this, so savouring the good feeling while it lasts
Well done! :woo:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Day #2

Hair count:
II (2)

Really chuffed for you. Progress is (frustratingly) often not linear with these things, so there will be ups and downs, peaks and troughs... but it's very important to notice and be proud of yourself for the good days. So I'm glad you can recognise for yourself how well you've done today :yep:
laurawatt
Rep:
?
okay so by the time i went to bed the number raised to 4, but i'm still proud nonetheless

also mirrors. i think that's about 25% why i pick out my hairs. I see all the hairs trying to grow back and they stick up in weird directions and i can't do anything about it and that in itself stresses me out
i purposefully only looked in the mirror fleetingly once yesterday to see if that would impact my day - and i suppose it did?
:dontknow:
laurawatt
Rep:
?
thank you i think (for me) it' a subconscious motion to raise my hand to my head, but as soon as i start to pick hairs i realise what i am doing and either stop myself or carry on i think that because i've also been doing it for so long, that it is partly habit and the more i try to not pick hairs, the more hairs i want to pick out if that makes sense?
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Day #3 (yesterday)

i was so busy, honestly, i didn't have any time to do anything that wasn't scheduled :lol:

Hair Count:
III (3)
which i know is good, but it doesn't feel like it :confused: just because i was so rushed off my feet (and my sister's now in on this so she gives me a stern look (:hmmm:) whenever she sees me raise my hand to my head)

anyway, hope you had a great day, and keep smiling
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (235)
67.14%
No (115)
32.86%

Watched Threads