The Student Room Group

Driving lessons [Automatic]

I want lessons in an automatic but I can only find an instructors that do manual. Do you think I can get a manual instructor that does the gears and clutch whilst I do the rest?
Why on God's green earth would you want to be taught in an automatic?
If you do you can't drive a manual legally not to mention an automatic really isn't great trying to drive offroad.
Original post by DarkIronsBarzakh
Why on God's green earth would you want to be taught in an automatic?
If you do you can't drive a manual legally not to mention an automatic really isn't great trying to drive offroad.

Why on God's green earth would you want to drive offroad?

People choose to drive automatic for lots of reasons. I chose it because I had a relative who needed regular care and I couldn't get there, so I had to pass quick.

I had always planned to go back and do manual after, but 3 years down the line and it's never been the slightest issue.

Don't judge other people's choices when you don't know why they've made them.

OP: No, your suggestion wouldn't work, as you wouldn't be allowed your instructor next to you during your test, that has to be the examiner. I bought my own car and took my test in that - some manual instructors would be more than happy to teach you in your own car. Luckily for me my dad is a driving instructor so I could have as many lessons as I wanted, quickly.
Original post by Anonymous
I want lessons in an automatic but I can only find an instructors that do manual. Do you think I can get a manual instructor that does the gears and clutch whilst I do the rest?

It’s very understandable to want to drive an automatic but you should pass manual just in case you need to in a foreign country or something

That wouldn't be learning to drive, and you can't learn to "half-drive" where the instructor does some of the work. :lol:

Is there any reason why you're fixed on learning in an automatic? A manual licence is far more useful, even if you only plan to get an automatic later.
Moved to Learning to drive; thread title edited for clarity. :smile:

I've just started my automatic driving lessons. That's very surprising you can't get an instructor that does that. You could always ask them if they could but they'll more than likely tell you to find an appropriate instructor for what you're looking for. My instructor does both but I struggled doing manual. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending