Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm going to start studying medicine this month. I have a tattoo sleeve.

I'm concerned with how the medical school might react and how patients and other doctors will react too.

Do i have anything to worry about?

Have you seen doctors or med students with tattoos?
username2946194
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm going to start studying medicine this month. I have a tattoo sleeve.

I'm concerned with how the medical school might react and how patients and other doctors will react too.

Do i have anything to worry about?

Have you seen doctors or med students with tattoos?
Congratulations on gaining a place at medical school!

During my shadowing experience, I did meet an ICU doctor who had a tattoo on his upper arm - although it wasn't too obvious due to the sleeves of the scrub top. I wouldn't worry about how the medical school will react because as far as I know, if you're an academically able student who has been selected on the basis of your suitability to a medical profession, then tattoos are pretty irrelevant.

That being said, there are a pretty wide range of patients that come in, and some may disapprove (trying not to stereotype but usually the older patients from what I've seen) - but then again, pretty much every doctor comes across at least one patient who doesn't appreciate them. At the end of the day, you're going to be treating patients and saving lives, I'm sure if you demonstrate the qualities of a good doctor (which you clearly must do if you have been successful in gaining a medical school place), tattoos are not going to be on the forefront of anyone's mind - other doctors included.

Good luck on your journey!
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some dude who was a mental health assessor doctor person, had a sleeve with owls in
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Some dude who was a mental health assessor doctor person, had a sleeve with owls in
That's rather fun!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Has anyone seen the channel 5 programme GPs behind closed doors? I’m sure there’s a woman GP there with a large forearm tattoo.
Cheesychips1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have a tattoo on my upper arm and no one has ever cared, even older consultants, its only visible in certain scrubs and it normally just gets a ‘ooh tattoo’ comment. So don’t worry! Along as it’s nothing offensive it’s fine. I’ve met quite a few doctors with tattoos.
docintraining123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm a final year medical student and have a full sleeve tattoo and I'm a bodybuilder, so I do not fit in to say the least. Never had a bad word said about it, get the odd look but it has been a conversation starter with patients and colleagues and a lot of consultants have found it interesting.

Wouldn't worry about minor things like this, study and do your job properly and no one will care.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (64)
23.36%
No (210)
76.64%

Watched Threads