First year of GCSE is causing so much stress, should I change my options? Watch

username4254234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi, I’ve just started my GCSE’s and am already finding myself in so much stress! I am studying Triple Science, Spanish, Re and Geography along with the compulsory English and Maths. It’s the first week in and I’m feeling so so stressed. I have been given so much work and am spending my whole evening doing my homework every night after school. I already hate GCSE’s and it’s only just started!!!

I am considering changing my options in the hope that I will have less stress but I really don’t know what to do! I have to do RE as it’s compulsory at my school. I like science and feel as though I am learning more being in Triple Science, I also really like my science class so that’s great! However, it is quite challenging. I love Spanish and although it is hard work I definitely want to continue! Geography was always my best subject in Year 7, 8 and 9. But now it seems very challenging and I haven’t got any friends in my class so it feels even more hard work. I don’t know whether I should stick to it and persevere or if I should change it for another option!! If I was to change I would love to do a art. I know it is very stressful and time consuming however it is something I have always enjoyed so I don’t know if it is worth a shot! Obviously if I decide to change there is no going back! This is stressing me out even more!

Any ideas on what I should do? Anyone in a similar position?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
_Mia101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Evietyler)
Hi, I’ve just started my GCSE’s and am already finding myself in so much stress! I am studying Triple Science, Spanish, Re and Geography along with the compulsory English and Maths. It’s the first week in and I’m feeling so so stressed. I have been given so much work and am spending my whole evening doing my homework every night after school. I already hate GCSE’s and it’s only just started!!!

I am considering changing my options in the hope that I will have less stress but I really don’t know what to do! I have to do RE as it’s compulsory at my school. I like science and feel as though I am learning more being in Triple Science, I also really like my science class so that’s great! However, it is quite challenging. I love Spanish and although it is hard work I definitely want to continue! Geography was always my best subject in Year 7, 8 and 9. But now it seems very challenging and I haven’t got any friends in my class so it feels even more hard work. I don’t know whether I should stick to it and persevere or if I should change it for another option!! If I was to change I would love to do a art. I know it is very stressful and time consuming however it is something I have always enjoyed so I don’t know if it is worth a shot! Obviously if I decide to change there is no going back! This is stressing me out even more!

I am in the exact same situation. I am doing math, english lit and lang, triple science, rs (compulsory), french (compulsory, ICT (compulsory) history and further maths.

I am so stressed. Not with the work load - school just started on Monday. But with the future work load. Is history the right choice. I have the option to switch to economics which people say is easier but is it really?

I was really good at history in ks3 which is why I picked it. But with everyone telling me it is hard and with all the other subjects I have, is it really worth it??????

Once I change there is no going back and it is stressing me out!
jzb16
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey, fellow y10 triple scientist here.
I was going to take geography same as you, however I chose drama instead as it is way more enjoyable to me. If I were in your shoes I would see if you could change geography to art and go for it.

There’s a difference between persevering and self-care. If you’re going to be miserable for the next two years being stressed, you should definitely change to art.

Good luck with everything, I’m sure you’ll be okay
_Mia101
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by username4254234)

It also depends on whether you really want to geo at a-level.
_Mia101
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by jzb16)
Hey, fellow y10 triple scientist here.
I was going to take geography same as you, however I chose drama instead as it is way more enjoyable to me. If I were in your shoes I would see if you could change geography to art and go for it.

There’s a difference between persevering and self-care. If you’re going to be miserable for the next two years being stressed, you should definitely change to art.

Good luck with everything, I’m sure you’ll be okay
The course work in art is also really stressful and time consuming though. Isn’t it?
username4267394
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

I'm in a similar situation, but I can't change anymore. I kept on wondering if I should but I always decided not to. I take Business, Economics, Comp Sci and Triple Science. They're all 100% exam and it's a lot of work. But, I do enjoy my subjects so I'm glad I haven't changed. If you really dislike a subject, dread it or it goes really slowly I'd recommend you change it. Taking one "Lazy" GCSE isn't a bad idea, and can help with your workload. But again, if you don't want to that's fine too.
elliesalt
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Choose art if you really want to although, almost everyone who really loved art in year 9, and therefore chose it as an option, now (in year 11) they really regret that decision as they get so much coursework and homework. So before changing please take this into consideration.
EmmaD_x
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Xavoni)
I'm in a similar situation, but I can't change anymore. I kept on wondering if I should but I always decided not to. I take Business, Economics, Comp Sci and Triple Science. They're all 100% exam and it's a lot of work. But, I do enjoy my subjects so I'm glad I haven't changed. If you really dislike a subject, dread it or it goes really slowly I'd recommend you change it. Taking one "Lazy" GCSE isn't a bad idea, and can help with your workload. But again, if you don't want to that's fine too.
What exam board are you doing for business as I’m Y10 in my second year of GCSEs and all we ever do is coursework I think it’s 40% coursework and 60% exam for us
username4267394
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by EmmaD_x)
What exam board are you doing for business as I’m Y10 in my second year of GCSEs and all we ever do is coursework I think it’s 40% coursework and 60% exam for us
I'm taking Edexcel I believe.
A02ft1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
GCSEs feel like such a long time ago now as I write my masters thesis. In retrospect, people often complain about how kids call GCSEs hard, when A-Levels and degrees require much more effort. I disagree with those critics; at the time, I found my GCSEs more stressful than even my masters degree. That said, it is very important that you do not give up at the first hurdle, because GCSEs are the first stepping stone to getting into a great university and a great job.

Firstly I would say that the GCSEs you take don’t really matter so long as you enjoy them. Universities often have requirements on the A-Levels you take, but never on GCSEs. For example, the only science I took at GCSE was single award Physics, but 5 years later I graduated with a science degree from a top-5 UK university. I even took GCSE Art, which, by the way, took up more time than any of my other GCSEs. Once you earn a degree, your GCSEs will fall off your CV, so don’t think about picking subjects that might ‘impress’ potential employers. Focus on English, Maths, and the ones you will enjoy.

Second, the strategy for doing well in GCSEs is to know the contents of the textbook. GCSEs are marked by tick-boxes. If it’s not in the textbook it can’t be in the exam, so learn the textbook cover to cover and that’s all you need to know. You don’t get points for originality or creativity, so you can use the textbook examples. Even better, buy an exam board specific CGP guide, highlight it, and learn the contents. Go to the exam board websites and you can often get past papers and the mark schemes, they will help you understand what is required of you.

Best of luck!
EmmaD_x
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Ah yeah I’m doing Cambridge national business
Lemonadez
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
GCSEs were stressless... Just memorise your revision guide. A levels are harder by a mile, meaning you cannot just stroll through, it like you can with GCSEs. You have to revise for A levels, not for GCSEs.
username4267394
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by EmmaD_x)
Ah yeah I’m doing Cambridge national business
Ah right. Cambridge nationals are usually more coursework than standard exam boards so that makes sense. But I'm kind of glad it's exams... As longs as I don't have a bad day on the exam day lol.

(Original post by Lemonadez)
GCSEs were stressless... Just memorise your revision guide. A levels are harder by a mile, meaning you cannot just stroll through, it like you can with GCSEs. You have to revise for A levels, not for GCSEs.
This may be true, plenty of people have got good grades without revising, but I definitely would recommend you revise. Even if it doesn't improve your grade (Which it 90% of the time will), it would help you get into routine for a levels.
Jinwon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

Hey, I’m in year 13 and I can fully assure you that GCSE’s do not matter that much compared to A-levels, unless you’re planning on doing medicine. Of course, try to do as well as you can but don’t stress about it too much. I got all A’s in the main subjects (Maths, English and sciences) with only some revision the night before. Overall they weren’t too good but I’m still applying for engineering at Cambridge as I got all A* predicted grades in year 12. So you can’t just think of GCSE’s as the warmup for A levels really. If you want to change a subject that’s fine, I hated geography and regretted not swapping it. During your GCSE’s make sure to do all your homework first to avoid any detentions and then about 30 minutes revising each subject that you studied that that day will be good enough to get you very good grades. Obviously do more if you’re aiming for top grades but if not that’s fine. Don’t stress! Go out with friends and exercise regularly to avoid stressing but don’t overdo it. Good luck!

P.S I don’t recommend revising the night before
SebBagley
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

first off all, stress is going to come with every subject you pick so i would stick with the ones you chose considering you probably had a reason to pick them in the first place...
I was very stressed throughout year 10 and 11 because i was just like "i am going to fail all of these exams." and my parents being utter ***** didn't help either. But i ended up passing all my GCSE's by at least 1 whole grade above a 4 (so a 5 (at least)). and believe it or not all of that homework is helping you xD they set it as compulsory because teachers know alot of people will not go home and do it voluntarily so they start bombarding you early and hopefully they ease off a bit later into the years.

keep going and revise and everything will be fine. it will all be worth it trust me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (405)
18.58%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (484)
22.2%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.61%

Watched Threads